Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water Conditioner?

I am cycling two tanks (10 gal and a 2.5), readings in both are pH 7.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 2.0 and Nitrate 20. I am doing PWC every other day. I am on well water so I don't worry about chlorene and chemicals in my water, should I be adding water conditioner during the PWC?

Yes I know I should have done it fishless cycle, but I an a noob to this and its too late now. And, before you say anything about the 2.5 I am getting another tank this weekend to do a fishless cycle to put the beta in.

Thank you.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

from what I have read here you should put water conditioner in all water that goes into the fish tank. But I am a noob too.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

It can't hurt to put Prime or another good dechlornater in the water. It kills ammonia and nitrites for hopefully 24 hours after adding it. As for not cycling, just keep doing water changes and the fish will be ok.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, I will pick something up to add when I do my PWC tomorrow night. I haven't been adding anything because I don't have chlorine in my water. But the last two times I did a PWC I lost a guppy and wondered if that was why.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have well water, you don't NEED dechlor, but Prime will detoxify ammonia and nitrites, therefore making them harmless to your fish. You will still get a false positive reading for them though.

Why don't you want to put your betta in the 2.5 gallon?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually Darby the betta is in the 2.5 gal. But he looked like he needed more room so...thats why the new tank. I am thinking the new one will be a 16 or 20 gal (not a lot of space), once it is cycled, I will move the cherry barbs and guppies to it and put the betta in the 10gal with some new friends. Then I can use the 2.5 as a quartine tank if needed.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well that sounds nice! I have 4 bettas split between two 10 gallon tanks. He will love the bigger tank I am sure. If you have had him in the 2.5 gallon, you can use stuff from that to seed the new tanks, and it will make the cycle go much faster.
Where in AK are you? My cousins live in Valdez and Eagle River. I LOVE it up there in the summer, my husband and I had our honeymoon in Valdez.

Tags
condition, water condition, water conditioner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com