Water conditioner??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Should i add water conditioner while my tank is cycling? Seems pointless to me since cycling requires a 90%PWC

Flossie said:
Should i add water conditioner while my tank is cycling? Seems pointless to me since cycling requires a 90%PWC

Yes. You need it. The chlorine kills the good bacteria so its impossiblenfor it to get established.

Im curious. Are you doing fish in or fishless?

That is exactly why it isn't pointless. If you do not add water dechlorinator, the chlorine present in your tap water will kill off your nitrifying bacteria.

Little side question: Anyone on here know if their tap doesn't contain chlorine? Sometimes I can smell it in mine.

Marconis said:
That is exactly why it isn't pointless. If you do not add water dechlorinator, the chlorine present in your tap water will kill off your nitrifying bacteria.

Little side question: Anyone on here know if their tap doesn't contain chlorine? Sometimes I can smell it in mine.

If you're not on a well...your water has chlorine and / or chloramines.

Cool, didn't know ALL city water had chlorine in it. I remember like, 4 or 5 years ago, we got a notice in the mail where the town informed us that they upped the chlorine amount in our water to kill some impurities or something of that nature. With that being said, always remember what they use chlorine for, and apply that knowledge to your tank!

Alright guys I added the water conditioner :)

Back
Top Bottom