Water conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raignis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up my new 29g. The sand is in and the water has cleared up and I want to put in the water conditioner. Will the carbon insert in my filter negate the conditioner? Does the carbon even need to be in there at this point?

Carbon will not effect the conditioner.
Carbon won't do anything for an aquarium water changes can't do better unless there is a problem with the source water.
Almost 1,000 gallons myself and 35+years right now.
And no carbon in any tanks.

I don't use carbon either. It has a reputation for leaching back toxins when fully used up. If it's water clarity you're after then I recommend Purigen, not the cheapest option but very effective. Whilst carbon cannot be used if you medicate the tank, it removes the medication, it can be useful to clear the tank of medication at the end of the course. Better still to quarantine your fish so the main tank doesn't need medicating.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Agree with what has been said. Just use water conditioner. Carbon is really only used to help remove medication BUT that can just as easily be accomplished with water changes.

Caleb

Yeah, I've taken the carbon out. The water cleared up wonderfully and my gold barbs are enjoying their new home.

Imho, I would just leave the carbon in. Once it's exhausted it's a great medium for growing beneficial bacteria.

It has a reputation for leaching back toxins when fully used up.

Carbon doesn't leech. It's one of those myths that refuses to die in the aquarium industry.

Thanks for clearing that up Mebbid. I got scared reading that, panicking, what should I do then?!?

Back
Top Bottom