water evaporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samvandersteen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
in the last week I've lost 6 litres of water (about 2 gallons) is that a normal amount? If not, what do I do?

Also, is it necessary to top up the water everyday to counteract the evaporation, or every week maybe?

My tank is only on 26C (about 78F) so its not like its too warm

Yeah, that's about normal. I lose much more than that per week on my larger systems.

On FW systems, it's not as necessary to maintain the water level as tightly as it is on SW systems. When things get busy, my FW systems have evaporated almost 1/4 of a tank before I was able to do anything about it. Bad husbandry, I know, but sometimes there's just not much of a choice.

responded to this in the other thread that was moved or not moved....

I usually keep a jug of water out (already treated to remove the chlorine). This way when I look over at my tanks and see them getting low I just add a splash or two to get them back up to snuff.

i dont worry about filling. for me it doesnt drop so low that it effects anything after a week. then its 50% water change and fill to the top.

Back
Top Bottom