Water Flow/ Curculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bronxbomber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Hagen AquaClear 70 HOB in my 55 gal freshwater, medium planted very low fish stock b/c it just finished cycling and I am adding slowly. It allows me to adjust the flow of the filter return. Does anyone have any advice on setting? I am getting good blubbles and top water agitation even on the low postion. The filter says the lower setting actually cleans the water better b/c it water in the box is recirculated on lower flow setting.

Any ideas?

At this time...

it sounds as though it doesn't matter that much right now--your flow is adequate for your filtration needs, and it sounds like you are happy with your surface agitation. I have two smaller Aquaclear units, on smaller aquaria, and I use the high-middle range most of the time. I feel like I want to get high levels of filtration and agitation because the tanks need it.

I think the distinction between using low and high is that on high you will process more water, and potentially more waste overall, while on low/recirc. you are filtering what water that does pass through the unit more efficiently. Something like that.

I have a suggestion that works well for me: I take pieces of thin polyfiber mats (aquarium quality) and put them at the bottom of the filter stack, under the foam sponge. I am using it as a pre-filter. I suppose that I could use a pre-filter on the intake, but I can't find a small, inconspicuous, cheap thing to do that. I have been using Fluval filter polishing pads, which I can tear into at least quarter thickness, sometimes thinner. I have messy tanks so I am able to block lots of organic slop which would otherwise get into the sponge and the bio-media. I change them about every 7-10 days.
Hint: make the mat thin and change it often. Too thick will slow things up too much, in my experience.

Thanks for the advice. I have played with the flow a little and noticed the fish are more active and happy on the lower setting. I think I will leave it that way and watch for water cloudyness.

Back
Top Bottom