Water issues in new aquarium - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kardou275

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, My husband and I are newbies. We purchased our first tank and fish about 1 month ago. At the pet store we were told that danios are a good cycling fish so we purchased 6 along with 3 cory catfish for our 10 gallon tank. Last week we added an apple snail. In the first couple of weeks of the tank, I think we overfed the fish (2 x per day) and I think this has created issues with the water. Nitrite levels were way up but nitrate levels were low and from what I have read about cycling, this is to be expected until the nitrate levels rise enough to counteract the nitrite levels. Recommendations I read were that we should do 25% water changes, and we have been doing them every other day. Now nitrates levels are going up, but nitrites are not coming down. Today Nitrates are 80, nitrites are above 10.0, water pH is 7.0. I think there may be some residual food particles imbedded in the gravel which could be adding to the problem? Should we clean the gravel? Should I keep doing the 25% water changes daily and just wait?? Thanks in advance!!

fish seem fine, we have been feeding them once every 2 days. we are using nutrafin cycle and nutrafin aqua plus.

using test strips, which are probably not as accurate...right? what brand/type should I be using? Also I am not sure if they test of ammonia, they say they test for nitrate, hardness, nitrite, PH, and alkalinity. Today's readings are nitrate 140, nitrite over 10, hardness 150, alkalinity 40, PH 7.0. Thanks.

that's what everyone says that the strip test are not accurate,api freshwater master test kit seems to be a popular choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom