Water level getting low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobbylovesfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have been doing a fishless cycle for about 2 weeks. Everything appears to be going well. My first round of ammonia lowered to around 1 ppm and then I added more ammonia up to 4 ppm, no nitrites yet. One thing I have noticed is that my water level is slowly lowering. I am sure it is partly due to evaporation & water testing. We also started the new tank 1 inch below because we thought we were going to be adding fish after a few days. That is before I found this wonderful site and learned about the fishless cycle. Would it be okay to add more water? Should I add dechlorinator before or after I add the water to the tank? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's fine to top off the tank, and yes use a dechlorinator. Match the temperature as well, the beneficial bacteria don't like large temperature swings. Just go by feel, no need to break out the thermometer.

Hello! I always use dechlorinator prior to adding new water to my tank (I believe it's more effective that way) - I add water to my tank via a bucket, so I put the dechlorinator in there and mix it up a bit before gently dumping it into my tank. Additionally, I've hear that Prime water conditioner is a great brand of dechlorinator. :)

Back
Top Bottom