Water Logging??????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbman

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I got my aquarium I bought a piece of driftwood to decorate it. I got home set up the tank and filled it with water, and the drift wood floated. I left it in the tank just floating for about a week and nothing. I then moved it out and into the bucket filled with water and weighed it down. Its been a few weeks now and it still floats, what should I do wait more or dry it out and glue some rocks to it?

what kind of wood is it?

In general, just have to let it soak up the water. I have had success with boiling it, though. Get a big pot, and boil it for an hour or three. How big of a piece is it?

Some driftwood will never sink. If it's a kind that'll sink then boiling and soaking weighted down along with time and patience are your main options.

Have you tried verbally insulting it to deflate it a little bit?

Eh? Ehhh?

J/k. I dunno what to tell you. If soaking for weeks and boiling doesn't do it I don't know what will. Is it extremely bouyant, or just barely. If it is only slightly bouyant, try just sort of wedging it into teh substrate. If not you may need to attach it to slate or anything aquarium safe that is heavy.

thanks for the advice guys! As for the questions, I have absolutely no idea what type of wood it is. If it heps i can say its brown kind of like mahogany but it chips easily, Its not mahogany though. It was very bouyant but now its a bit less, just slightly less but nowhere near sinking.
As for the boiling I never would have thought about that but you have given me a good idea for a joke..Just imagine... honey what are you cooking?....Wood????
Ill let you guys know how it turned out.

The joke will be on your SO.

I had a piece of wood that was rather large that I centerpieced in my 46 gallon tank for a while. I was determined not only to get it to sink, but to get all of the tannins out I could. Over a period of a week, no lie, I boiled this thing for 15 hours total, a few hours each night, until the water would remain mostly clear.

I boiled the piece a few times till the water was no longer tunrning a dark brownish yellow. And then let it cool in a vat of clean water. And gradualy it lost bouyancy. :D

I played the joke and it worked...sort of...(It went something like this) Wife comes back, and notices boilng pot on stove, so she shouts out to me honey you left this boiling, ( I forgot about it for a while) so then I ran downstairs and she asked me "what are you making?" I said it was a reciepie I saw on T.V. Boiled log... She looked at me sort of discusted and said I aint eating that! I sort of chuckled and said why not its pretty good. Taste it, its good ..So then she opens the lid and looks in then looks back at me with a puzzed look on her face..and then realized what was going on...And then said very funny I almost belived you ...Make sure to clean up and while your at it Do those dishes you left there......
So I guess the joke was on me....

Thanx again guys for your advice....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom