Water problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Firefighter60

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, so I recently set up a 29 gallon freshwater tank. I made sure I washed everything with warm water before putting it in including the tank. I had two great Danios in there but they didn't make it and I now have 2 angel fish in there that have survived but the water turned cloudy yesterday morning. I know I have to do the water changes I've done one 25% and will do another when I get home. Should I do more? My LFS tested my water 3 days ago and said it was fine I'm going to buy my own test kit later and test it. Any tips or information that can be shared will help thank you.

The cloudiness is probably bacterial bloom which is a good thing.

You need to be testing for ammonia and nitrite at a minimum. You should read up on the Nitrogen Cycle but the cliffnotes version is that fish produce Ammonia which is toxic. Over time bacteria develops which converts Ammonia to Nitrite which is also toxic. A second type of bacteria develops which converts Nitrite to Nitrate which is far less toxic.

Unfortunately, the process of developing these beneficial bacteria colonies takes time. Anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

In the meantime, you need to do water changes to keep the Ammonia and Nitrites at a safe level.

That's what I figured I just didn't know if there's anything I can do to speed it up a little; I also read that if I added another 1 or 2 hardy fish that that could help the cycle along with the water changes.

Your Tank

Hi, so I recently set up a 29 gallon freshwater tank. I made sure I washed everything with warm water before putting it in including the tank. I had two great Danios in there but they didn't make it and I now have 2 angel fish in there that have survived but the water turned cloudy yesterday morning. I know I have to do the water changes I've done one 25% and will do another when I get home. Should I do more? My LFS tested my water 3 days ago and said it was fine I'm going to buy my own test kit later and test it. Any tips or information that can be shared will help thank you.

Hello Fire...

A tank must go through the "Nitrogen Cycle". This essentially means growing a biological filter of microscopic bugs that use fish wastes for food. Without them, the fish are poisoned in their own waste.

B

No, definitely don't add more fish. That will just increase the rate of Ammonia produced and make it so you need to do more frequent water changes.

The only real way to speed it up is to add existing bacteria from another source. If you know someone else who has a healthy aquarium see if they could give you some of their filter material. You need to keep it moist in tank water during transport between tanks.

Another option is one of the numerous "bacteria in a bottle" products which people report mixed success in using.

Back
Top Bottom