Water Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep reading how great these are to make water changes easier.

I'm all about making things easier but I'm confused about how this is suppose to work. We have city water, I thought I had to treat the water for the chlorine before I put it into the tank.. there for not being able to go directly from tap to tank.

Is it true? Or can I add the water and then right away add the declorinator(sp?).

My tank isn't too far from a sink so it's not like I'll be lugging water through the house, if I have to do it by hand it's no biggy but I'm sure I'll drop a bucket along the way at some point. It's just my style :rolleyes: lol

I think you can add the dechlorinator immediately afterwards, but you have to use a dose for the whole tank volume (not just the amount you changed).

Someone more experienced may correct me...

tamtam I use a water changer much like the python. How I do my water changes is I unplug my filter and place the cartridges in a bucket of tank water, that I took out for the purpose of cleaning filters and decorations.
I then do my gravel vac /suction of the water out of the tank. Once I reach the desired level. I wipe down the walls of the tank and clean any decor and filters I took out. I put the decor back in the tank and the filters back in. Then I measure out my dose of Prime. Once I start filling the tank I add the prime to the current that the fill water creates. While the tank is filling I wipe down the hood I took off.
Once the tank is filled I put the hood back on and put away the water changer gear and dump the bucket of dirty water. Then I plug my filter back in.

Tjt34 said:
I think you can add the dechlorinator immediately afterwards, but you have to use a dose for the whole tank volume (not just the amount you changed).

Someone more experienced may correct me...

Just learned this myself, before you add more water into the tank, dose the tank for the total volume, then you should be okay to top it off :)

Great to know! I NEVER would have guessed that I needed to dose the whole thing. Thanks. Looks like I will be investing in a python soon. :)

The reason for dosing the whole tank is to ensure that the incoming water makes contact with the dechlor. Adding it after filling is too late.

Make sure you have good water pressure off the tap. My Aqueon can't generate enough suction to siphon out because the R/O system attached was improperly installed by whoever owned the house before me. I was able to use it to fill the tank, but it takes forever due to the small amount that comes out of it, so I use buckets anyway, lol.. If your water pressure is good, then you should have no problems.

I add my dechlor right in the stream during the filling process. Python actually recommends from their website and it helps mix the whole tank too. So simple!

Back
Top Bottom