Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

water test update

Update on water testing. Seachum Ammonia alert still in safe zone. I did test it and it does work.

First time I ever had a reading on nitrites. Does this mean I am finally cycling?

Ammonia looks darker in picture it is between 0.5 and 1.0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tes 2 6 5 20.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	316923   Click image for larger version

Name:	test 6 5 20.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	316924  

Old 06-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Testing positive for nitrites shows you are starting to grow nitrosomonas bacteria which consume ammonia and produce nitrites. When you also start seeing nitrates thats a sign you also have nitrobacter bacteria that consumes nitrites and produces nitrates. Nitrates are removed through water changes, and plants will take up some if it also.

Continue to test daily, if you get detectable ammonia or nitrites do 25% water change. When you are consistently getting 0ppm ammonia and nitrites after 24 hours and your nitrates are rising, then your aquarium is cycled sufficiently for the fish you have in there. If the plan is to add more fish, this is the time to do it.

Tags
ate, test, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com