water testing question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is in regards of testing my water parameters...

When I test for NitrITES I fill the tube... add the solution, it IMMEDIATELY turns purple and then 5 minutes later it will be blue saying nitrITES are zero. This happens with my ammonia test too.

Should I be worried that when I first drop the solution into the water it turns to a dark purple? I know you have to wait 5 minutes to get the reading... I just need some words of comfort! The test kit is BRAND NEW and I am filling up the test tubes to the line and shaking with the cap on for 5 seconds. THANKS!

I've never seen that happen to my test kits. What kind of test kit do you have? Is this a cycled tank or a new tank?

If the instructions for your test kit say wait 5 minutes before taking a reading then wait 5 minutes. Taking a reading before you are supposed to will lead to incorrect data.

I have the master kit from aquarium pharmaceuticals. It's currently in a fishless cycle...

This happens when i test for ammonia as well. It's yellow... then a little later it will turn light green

Yeah that is the chemical reaction taking place. Mine does that too, the drops are yellow to start with then they start to react with the ammonia in the water and display the final data after 5 minutes, just like the instructions say.

Hmm, maybe I've been doing something wrong this whole time. I have to AP test kit as well. I've never seen anything like that.

blipblop said:
I have the master kit from aquarium pharmaceuticals. It's currently in a fishless cycle...

This happens when i test for ammonia as well. It's yellow... then a little later it will turn light green

You could contact Aquarium Pharmaceuticals tech support and ask them just to be on the safe side. I use the Hagen test kits myself.

theotheragentm said:
I have to AP test kit as well. I've never seen anything like that.

Agreed
I also use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit.
And That NEVER happens.
I've also bought single ammonia, nitrite and nitrate kits and its always the same results.

In fact, there should be NO reaction taking place (meaning, there is ZERO ammonia and nitrite).
If you think about it, if there is zero ammonia and nitrite in the tank, the test tube should NOT change colour from start to finish.
If your test tube changes colour immediately after adding drops and shaking, then it must be reacting to something (i.e. there IS ammonia and nitrite in your tank).

Back
Top Bottom