We need a sticky ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
You know that sticky that's in the sick fish thread, that describes what needs to be shared in order to ask questions about a fish's health?

I think we need one here for help on cycling a tank. Newbies would get answers much more quickly, and advisors would be able to help better with all the info right up front.

For instance ...

Fishless or fish in
What fish or ammonia source
Tank size
When did you set up the tank
What have you put in the water
When did you first add fish or ammonia
What test kit are you using
Current pH and temperature
Current ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

You know that sticky that's in the sick fish thread, that describes what needs to be shared in order to ask questions about a fish's health?

I think we need one here for help on cycling a tank. Newbies would get answers much more quickly, and advisors would be able to help better with all the info right up front.

For instance ...

Fishless or fish in
Tank size

Thoughts?

Why didn't I think of that! :banghead:. This would really help the new aquarists with one of the more crucial aquarium procedures.

Like this one already ?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I think what the OP means is a sort of list of "things you need to let us know so we can help you with your problems"

I'm not sure if it needs to be cycle-specific, but a list of facts to cover would be very helpful. "Checklist for posting a question here"

How big is your tank?
How long has it been set up?
How many fish do you have, and what kinds?
Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
Can you test your water, and if so, what are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph?
What kind of filter do you have?

I think those are the most important questions, but I might have missed out something.

Like this one already ?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

I mean one like the one in the sick fish thread, that says in big letters, read this before posting. And implies you won't get good answers without that info.

Not "you might want to read these" but "you must read this before asking a cycling question, and provide this info"

I think what the OP means is a sort of list of "things you need to let us know so we can help you with your problems"

I'm not sure if it needs to be cycle-specific, but a list of facts to cover would be very helpful. "Checklist for posting a question here"

How big is your tank?

How long has it been set up?

How many fish do you have, and what kinds?

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

Can you test your water, and if so, what are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph?

What kind of filter do you have?

I think those are the most important questions, but I might have missed out something.

What I grasped of it, the op used the sick fish one as an sample to make up a new one for help on cycling, etc. Op, could you clarify ?

For instance ...

Fishless or fish in
Tank size

Thoughts?

Maybe add one with changing an established tank. Im changing my 29 gal, and don't know what to do for everything. I have a thread in planted section, but a sticky would really help others

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My proposal was that there be a "please read before posting" sticky here too, that says inside ... If you want help with cycling, provide this info.

Maybe also, if you want help with stocking, provide this info (tank size, filter, level of experience) and if you want help with anything else provide your water parameters, water change schedule, water additives, and tank size.

Just those questions that get asked several times a day, to which the first responder always has to say, "ok first we need to know ..."

And then people who want to help have to dig through the whole thread for all the details.

There's a sticky with articles but not a "before you post, give us this info" one.

Back
Top Bottom