Weight???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I highly doubt it, unless your house is really old. If you have any worries at all, make sure you place it on a load bearing wall, but I wouldn't worry one bit.

Thats the problem. The only place i can put it is next to a non-load bearing wall. It will be about 5 ft away from the main house beam. But there is nothing to worry about?

I have a 55 gal tank sitting on an inside wall of a 107 year old building with soft pine floors. :) It's a little shaky when you walk quickly around it, but it's perfectly fine.

I like to think of it in terms of people. a 55 gallon tank prob. weighs around 500 lbs, which is about 2 overweight guys, or 3 average guys. So ask yourself this: If you saw 2 pretty big guys standing in the spot you would be putting your tank, would you ask them to stand somewhere else to avoid damaging your house?

The difference with that analogy is that those 2 guys wouldn't be standing in that same spot day in and day out. :) I like the refrigerator analogy.

That's true, but I find the notion of asking a small group of people to move to a more structurally secure area amusing =P

Weight Okay

Has anyone reading this ever had an issue with a tank falling through or seriously damaging the floor due to weight?

I can remember back around thirty years ago my brother hitting a tank with his chair and cracking the glass, it was quite a scene!

lol True malloc. :)

ksfishguy- No, I havne't. But I have seen houses with a bowed floor where the fish tank sat. The last house we looked at the owner had a 150T, same one as ours, in the living room and it wasn't supported very well in the basement. You could see the dip in the floor.

not a tall you'll be fine, unles syou home is held together with mud and sticks then you'll be fine lol. a 55 even with a stand and gravel never really tops out at more than 650 lbs. you should be fine, good question though :)

A bowed floor, incredible, I guess I always keep my tanks in the basement, I just would hate to have a leak or worse...call me paranoid. I also have two sons, ages 3 and 10, I would hate for them to "break" the tank upstairs!

I had to move my 42 gallon when we put carpet in the basement, not fun. I filled countless (around seven) 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot and slid the tank across the floor on those furniture coaster things you can buy now. It really wasn't that bad, I just hate putting stress on the tank seams and such, a little scary.

Good luck!

I never knew the struggle of moving tanks until we had the 150. The 55 wasn't a big deal. They are easy to move. But a 150 with 150 lbs of sand, 80 lbs of rock, 25 African Cichlids, and plants? Yowzer. :) Just the tank alone required three people to move.

A bowed floor is definitely possible with a big tank. We had a piano over an inside wall & the floor is an inch or so down where it is sitting .... :( But the piano is 1000+lbs, so a 55 should be OK. If you are worried, just put it across the joists so the weight is spread out.

Back
Top Bottom