Weird fishless cycling occurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
I began my cycle three days ago and the ammonia in the water remained at a perfect 0.5ppm for both days but today I measured it and it seems to be between 0.7ppm and 0.8ppm. What's going on? I have not added anything to the water.

Certain water conditioners can mess with test kits. I wouldn't worry much about it.

Regardless, .5ppm is really too low for fishless cycling... 3-4ppm ammonia is better if possible. One of the benefits of fishless cycling is bumping up the bioload much more quickly than fish cycling, so take advantage and add some more ammonia :)

oops...I don't know where the point (0.5) came from...I did mean 5 ppm...but yeah... it started as 5ppm and is now 7-8 ppm

Yes, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have Amonnia present, you will continue to move the cycle along. With no fish in the tank, 5 vs. 8 ppm doesn't make a difference.

Agree - let 'er simmer some more, when it drops, it'll drop fairly consistently and quickly.

That's good. the increase means that the tank is doing it's thing. The raise will taper off when the nitrites kick in.That will go up and then when the nitrates kick in the nitites will drop. When both ammonia and nitrites fall to 0ppm you're good to go.
Happy reefing
T.
PS: then add fish or corals slowly....a few at a time to not overload your system...

Back
Top Bottom