Weird stuff in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ken123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve have my tank for about 3 months now it’s been all good and been doing everything that I know I’m supposed to do but recently had a load of weird white balls in my tank. Any clue what it is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 25
Im not sure what white balls you are referring to. The photo isnt very clear or im not sure where to look. Is it the white dots that look to be on a piece of driftwood in the background? They look like nerite snail eggs.

Sorry, and have no snail in the tank, Hopefully this photo is clearer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 24
Could you pick one out and take a pic of it on your finger? Also, when you do that, how does it feel? Mushy? Crumbly?

Hey that’s the best it could get my camera was struggling to focus on it and there not hard at all and it felt quite grainy after I squished it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 15
That's a good picture. My guess is eggs. Who lives in there? Any nerite snails? It's not mystery snail eggs - they are in clusters at the top of the tank.

I currently have 30 guppies, 3 yo yo loaches, mix of red blue and ghost shrimp, 10 albino bristle nose plecos 1 adult and 9 baby’s that are going to a new owner soon and 4 black chin live bearers, 1 khuli loach, 1 weather loach . New addition would be a weather loach, khuli loach, 3 female guppies and for plants all I have added recently is Java fern. I also do not house snails in this tank.

My guess would be snail hitchhikers on that new Java fern. The graininess you describe...tiny baby snails feel like that when crushed. And snails can lay a lot of eggs. You have a lot of life in there so I don't think I'd try to dose the tank with anything. Maybe the best solution would be to laboriously pick (scoop) them out and dispose of them? And remove the Java fern for a good wash under running water so more of whatever it is will be washed away?

Thank you for the advice I’ll give that a try and keep you posted on how it goes :)

I'm finding my mystery snails are a gold mine, I'm trading locally for guppy grass and expensive plants. Didn't know they were in such hi demand. I posted on offer up and had 3 people in an hour willing to trade all kinds of plants.

Back
Top Bottom