We've been given a 90 gallon tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakabena74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Some friends have given us a 90 gallon tank that they had set up as a salt water tank. Being newbs to the whole aquarium scene, we would like to redo it as a freshwater tank (we have read freshwater is a little easier to look after).

The couple that gave us the tank, actually had the tank given to them from someone else, so they really don't have a very good idea of what the tank includes or how it runs.

We know doodly squat about aquariums, so we are looking for advice on what we will need to get it set up (filters, heaters, etc.). We would love to know the brands and type's of components that everyone prefers and why. Feel free to "dumb down" your answers for us.

We appreciate any help and advice anybody is willing to give to us. :thanks:

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 63
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 57
Just wanted to congratulate you on this while waiting on the more knowledgeable ones to comment.

It would help to pics of the box umder the tank. You may have all you need for starting your tank. The bottom part is your sump or filtering system.

Hopefully these pics will help :)

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 54
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 65
Sorry can't help with the filtration system, I've never used a sump. But Eheim makes a good heater, just make sure you get the proper wattage for your tank (it is printed on the box). As far as lighting goes that depends if you want to have a planted tank or not. I have a 90 gallon planted tank with a dual(2 lights across) T5 HO 6000k light and my plants are doing great! I won't go on and on though incase you don't want real plants. If you do we can give more advice on what ones are good beginners and how to care for them.

Nice tank btw! Welcome to this great hobby:dance: don't get discouraged sometimes you will feel like this:banghead: but with some persistence and help from the great people here on AA you will feel like this :brows:

I wish I had friends who would give me big tanks!

I am very unfamiliar with a lot of the equipment you have because I do not know much saltwater. Too expensive and way too delicate IMO.

A 90 gallon would make an amazing mbuna tank(y)

Guppies! Guppies! Guppies! Cories! Cories! Cories!
You should do a sand planted freshwater with those two species

Back
Top Bottom