What about gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Still trying to figure out what to put in my 58 gal planted tank. I am ready for the fish, just not sure exactly what I want! It has been cycling for a month now. It currently has one clown loach which I got to take care of my snail problem.

Can I put a couple of gouramis with a school of tetras (not neon, but maybe orange von rio), 3 clown loaches and a redtail or rainbow shark?

Thanks,
Kimberly

You cycled the tank with the clown loach? :|

Those fish should be fine together, except those sharks can get aggressive when mature. As far as the gouramis go, make sure you either get dwarfs OR the larger ones. I've had bad experiences with putting a dwarf gourami with bigger gouramis.

Realise that many of the larger species of gouramis can hit 6" or so, so a pair is going to take up a lot of room....go with a pair of dwarfs...they're prettier, too.

Those clown loaches will last only so long, as you really need a small school, and once a group of say 5, hits 4" each, they are still only 1/3 grown and already too big for your tank.

I didn't cycle with a clown loach. I added him about a week ago when the tank was almost ready to go in order to get rid of the snails. He did an excellent job and looks great. I plan to get a couple more now that my tank is ready for fish.

Thanks for the info on gouramis.

Kimberly

I think 1-4 three spot gouramis, pearl, or banded would be fine (as long as there is only 1 male) in a 58 gal. The banded only get to a max of 4", three spots 4-6", pearl 5".
I do agree that the clown loaches will get too big for the tank though. I think you should try to bring back the clown loach and see if you can get some smaller loaches.

Back
Top Bottom