what affects pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
I added some flagstone to my tank to build caves. My pH runs high at 8.2. Can rocks raise pH? Anything I can add that will naturally lower it? I don't want to add chemicals.

Ram897 said:
I added some flagstone to my tank to build caves. My pH runs high at 8.2. Can rocks raise pH? Anything I can add that will naturally lower it? I don't want to add chemicals.

As far as I'm aware flagstone won't cause the Ph to rise. Rocks such as limestone can cause a rise in Ph. And as the other poster suggested, driftwood can be a natural way to lower Ph as well as peat moss but I've heard that can turn the water yellow.

Thanks. I will see after the tank is fully cycled if I need to try to lower but just wanted to make sure my rock was ok.

Yes ... Carbonate rocks like Limestones / Dolostones / Marbles and or crushed corals can raise pH. DriftWood on the other hand Lowers pH when it releases tannins pH. Peat also lowers pH and is something that can be added to filters to.

Both are the best natural way to adjust pH levels in your tank gradually ... neither should cause fast drastic pH swings

Interesting. Peat. How often do you change that out?

IDK... Probably once a month? Some canister filters like fluval sell peat as a filter media. I don't use it, I have several DW ... Although by now they've leached out their tannins.

Thank you. I will keep this in mind. My pH runs consistently 8.2 and I hope when we get our pictus that they will be able to adapt.

You'll find the experienced members will all tell you maintaining a stable pH is more important than trying to get a specific pH. Many members have kept stock at 8.2-8.4.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom