What am I doing wrong???? Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the fish stock in this tank? Fluval claims those filters are good for up to 70g each. I always cut that number in half, so two of them should be good for up to 70g. Shouldn't bee too much for a 55g though, depending on fish load. Your problem might be that you added too many fish at first to an uncycled tank. Doing a fish-in cycle, you don't want a bunch of fish otherwise it puts a big strain on thw entire setup. Let us know what exactly you have in the tank as far as what types of fish, how many, and any live plants you might have as well as how many. I currently have a 55g with 33 fish, but most of them are tiny and I have a bunch of plants too. So my nitrates stay below 10ppm at all times, even if I miss a water change (but I rarely do). I also cycled the tank prior to adding any fish, then I added fish slowly over the course of a few months.

I did a 50% last night, and today was the same. Did another one this am.
I have two fluval 306s and the bio baskets are filled. I'll send some pictures later. I prob need a bigger tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tank was not cycled when I added the first fish. It was a brand new tank. I started with 4 cherry barbs for 2 weeks.

I didn't know about cycling so had no test kit. I just thought 2 weeks would get it ready. Clearly I know better now.

I then added , all about 1 inch in size

2 x 1 inch red parrots
2x blue convicts (turns out a mating pair) already had eggs
1x jack Dempsey
2x silver dollars.
1x Texas green

Since then, I don't know the order but I also have
1 x jaguar cichlid
2x blue arcas
1x placo
1x small flower horn (too small to know sex )
1x tricolor

Had battle with ich that killed 3 fish, I think they were all geophagus which I know now will not be replaced.

I treated the ich with salt and heat.

https://vimeo.com/165017068

Okay...your tank is EXTREMELY overstocked...Even if they are young fish now, there's still too many for a 55 gallon. The fact that they will mostly outgrow this tank very quickly doesn't even matter at this point. I popped your fish into aqadvisor.com with your filters just to see what it said and here's the result:

http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage....200912081400:,1:200911111527:,1:200909300234:

That's NOT including the pleco, since I have no idea what type of pleco and they come in a wide range of sizes. So, while aqadvisor is just a helping hand, and I don't think it's necessary to abide by its suggestions completely, it clearly states that you are seriously overstocked.

In fact, the actual site (not the generated pic) says:
"Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank." WithOUT the pleco.

It also states many issues with the fish being housed together:
"Warning: When Convict starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Apistogramma Parrot.

Warning: At least 5 x Silver Dollar are recommended in a group.

Warning: Jaguar Cichlid is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 14 inches.

Warning: Apistogramma Parrot may become food for Jaguar Cichlid.

Warning: Flowerhorn is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.

Warning: Apistogramma Parrot may become food for Flowerhorn.

Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 562% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Apistogramma sp. Parrot, Cryptoheros nigrofasciatus, Rocio octofasciatum, Herichthys cyanoguttatus, Parachromis managuensis, Aequidens pulcher, Flowerhorn, Cichlasoma Salvini) or get a larger tank.

Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
=> 24 - 29C: Apistogramma Parrot
=> 20 - 26C: Convict
=> 22 - 30C: Jack Dempsey
=> 24 - 28C: Silver Dollar
=> 22 - 30C: Texas Cichlid
=> 25 - 28C: Jaguar Cichlid
=> 18 - 28C: Blue Acara
=> 27 - 32C: Flowerhorn
=> 22 - 27C: Tricolor Cichlid

You might want to consider getting a second 55, or even a larger tank and splitting the stock up into better grouping. Also, most species of pleco get too large for a 55g so I hope you have a dwarf species.

This fish load is probably one of the main issues you're having with cycling your tank and keeping parameters safe. =/

Why don't you tell me what you really think?

I really thought to would take years to outgrow, but I think it will be more like a year at most. I'll prob buy a 125 gallon. I have been already looking on Craigslist in my area for a setup.

Guess I will just continue to change water until the numbers look better.

About the convicts , they have been defending their area like crazy. Mostly they fight with the Texas green , but anything in that area is at risk.

Would these fish do ok in a 110 x tall tank? Does the shape matter ?

Lol sorry, I'm a “tell it like it is” type of person and don't realize when I'm coming off rude. I apologize if I upset you, not my intention at all! The thing with most of these fish is that they grow pretty quickly. Your jaguar cichlid and flowerhorn are your two “biggest” issues (hehe, cause they get really big, and aggressive). If you get a 125g, I'd suggest just moving these two, as well as the convicts, the acaras, the texas, and the pleco (if not a dwarf species) to that, and leaving the rest in the 55, then add a few more silver dollars to make them feel more comfortable. That would balance out the 55 a bit and give the bigger (and most aggressive) fish more room. You still might have issues though, as they're not really all that compatible with temps. Maybe just aim for an ideal medium between them all and hope for the best? Not sure what else you could other than returning some or selling them. :/

I was kidding. The emoji I send with a smiley face didn't go through. :).

I really do appreciate the help. I'm just learning how to get into this hobby

Just tested again and looks like I am making progress. I see some nitrate.

Everything's changed after I added stability from seachem.

Thanks again
ff04d1ae9b0d3ee771161a900f457c4e.jpg

Just keep up the search for a bigger tank or at least keep watch for someone needing to get rid of say, a 55G when they move.

I have found if you can pick up a tank fast like the day they have to move and no one bought their tank, you can offer ahead of time a cheap price and just tell them if they don't sell you can pick it up asap/same day and get a great deal.

Good luck on the tank situation. Fish seem so small at the fish store.

Keep up the big pwc and you might be getting to the end of a cycle now.

Just when i finished the cycle, I think I have ick. Take a look at this post I just placed In the sick fish forum. Let me know what you think. Raised the temp tonight just incase. Will have to add salt tomorrow if it's ick.
Is this Ick, or Ich?
I just finished treating my fish about 2 weeks ago and just noticed these spots and strange nose whiteness. Is this ick?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/is-this-ich-348500.html#post3359170

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom