What are fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad you know about cycling. You don't need to refer to yourself as a noob as long as you understand cycling... that's what makes someone a noob when they're on here asking why all their fish are dying and have never researched cycling a tank.

If you have a cartridge filter made by a major company (like Tetra, Marineland, etc...) that you slide in there, it's 99% probably a carbon filter. Carbon is just activated charcoal that absorbs chems, taste, odors and is almost always absolutely useless in a fish tank. They should only be used to remove medication you have to add or if you have an algae outbreak and you have bad odor in your tank.

We were talking about cycling, and of coarse cycling is growing healthy bacteria that eat the nasties that your fish put into the tank. Problem is, the large majority of the bacteria lives in your filter. So if you follow the instructions and take it out, throw it away and replace it with a new one every month... you cause what's called a mini-cycle where your tank doesn't have enough bacteria to handle the waste your fish are putting out.

You can buy big rolled up sheets of filter material that looks like mesh sponge. It's probably the same thing your cartridges are made out of, but they don't have carbon. All you do is cut it down to size to fit into your filter, and you NEVER throw it away unless it's absolutely falling apart. You take it out during every pwc (partial water change) and swish it around in the TANK water (not tap water) to shake off any debris it collected.

When the filter is literally on the verge of falling apart, you cut out a new piece of filter and stick it right next to the old one for as long as possible. That way the old filter has a chance to colonize the new one with all the bacteria so it's not a shock to your tank when you finally have to replace the old filter media.

Cut a piece of filter out of what? lol I'm still kinda lost. I just thought u buy a 6 pack, and just take the old one out and replace it with a new one, no? or are you sayin take a new filter and put it next to the old one?

ok i just read the other post u wrote on the cycling, im lost no more lol, one thing i am tryin to figure out is, when i cut the mesh out where do i put it in my filter, like do i jst stuff it in anywhere in the filter area , cos like the cartridge u get with the filter machine comes on like a support so it just slide on it,but what ur talkin about has no support right? quote me if im wrong. do i just throw away the cartridge i got with my filter away?

Cut a piece of filter out of what? lol I'm still kinda lost. I just thought u buy a 6 pack, and just take the old one out and replace it with a new one, no? or are you sayin take a new filter and put it next to the old one?

Yeah, you absolutely don't want to do that. Go to your lfs (local fish store... I'm trying to catch you up on the lingo here :D) and you will see a rolled up sheet of filter material. It's the same stuff that your cartridge is made out of, but it doesn't have anything inside it. It's just a big sheet that you take scissors too and cut it to the size you need. Don't throw away what you have, just stick the new stuff in next to it and leave it as long as possible. That way the bacteria that has already grown on the cartridge you have now colonize over onto the new piece you're gonna buy.

I actually had a guy offer to sell me an eheim 2215 canister filter for $100 shipped earlier today. That's a great filter. It can handle a tank like yours without even blinking and you can add all sorts of stuff into it to filter. What I really like is called ceramic media. It is literally little balls of ceramic that harbor the bacteria you're trying to grow. As far as I know, you basically never need to replace them. One member here has had the same ceramic stuff in his tank for 10 years. If you've got a few extra $'s I can give you the guys name and you can PM (private message) him.

ok i just read the other post u wrote on the cycling, im lost no more lol, one thing i am tryin to figure out is, when i cut the mesh out where do i put it in my filter, like do i jst stuff it in anywhere in the filter area , cos like the cartridge u get with the filter machine comes on like a support so it just slide on it,but what ur talkin about has no support right? quote me if im wrong. do i just throw away the cartridge i got with my filter away?

It doesn't matter if it doesn't really fit... you've just gotta find a way to stuff it down in there. The only thing it's doing is catching loose pieces of fish food and growing bacteria.

Can i wrap the mesh around the cartridge i got with my filter? would that be fine? is ceramic harbor substrate btw? you think that canister wud be worth it?

Can i wrap the mesh around the cartridge i got with my filter? would that be fine? is ceramic harbor substrate btw? you think that canister wud be worth it?

As long as the new mesh is sitting with the old, the position shouldn't matter too much. One thing I would do though... take the cartridge you have now and shake it. If you hear little stones inside of it, get some scissors, cut a slit down the side and shake the little black granules into the trash. Then put the empty cartridge back into the filter. Carbon goes bad... the actual cartridge is good until it falls apart.

Did you ask if ceramic media is substrate? (2 nations divided by a common language, lol!) The substrate is the floor of the aquarium (the gravel, sand, whatever you're using). The ceramic media are little ceramic balls that fit into a chamber in a canister filter for the bacteria to grow on.

The filter is definitely fantastic for your tank. It actually is more than you need, but again, there's no such thing as filtering too much. I haven't really shopped around for that particular filter, so I'm not 100% sure that's the best price you can fine, but $100 including shipping is more than fair.

Another question, can I ask how you plan on cycling your tank?

o boy, my cycling procedure lol : I planned on washing the tank out with warm water and bleach and then rinsing it off, then i planned on washing off all my decor and " substrate" lol and then putting all that stuff in my tank and then fillin my tank up and running my filter and puttin that stuff that takes all the bad compounds out of the water and then running my tank for about 2-3 weeks before i put fish in it, sound about right lo??

Pigeonfood said:
o boy, my cycling procedure lol : I planned on washing the tank out with warm water and bleach and then rinsing it off, then i planned on washing off all my decor and " substrate" lol and then putting all that stuff in my tank and then fillin my tank up and running my filter and puttin that stuff that takes all the bad compounds out of the water and then running my tank for about 2-3 weeks before i put fish in it, sound about right lo??

Noooooooo! Hang on, I'll be back in 5.

Alrighty my European friend, I'm back. I'm gonna start from the beginning, so forgive me if I go over stuff you already know. Give me a sec to get to typing...

This is gonna sound complicated at first, but it's really not... just stick with me and read slow. To put it simply, cycling your tank is growing colonies of bacteria to turn the ammonia (fish poop) into nitrItes which then turn into nitrAtes. Ammonia and nitrItes are highly toxic to fish, nitrAtes are also toxic, but much, much less.

Basically you're trying to grow 2 types of bacteria. The first eats ammonia and poops out nitrItes. The second type of bacteria eats the nitrItes and poops out nitrAtes. When this is completed, it basically creates a self cleaning aquarium. When a tank is not cycled prior to adding fish, these levels skyrocket and are basically guaranteed to kill all your fish unless you seriously dedicate yourself to daily water changes and monitering your levels like a hawk...

I have more... but I'll let you catch up while I type :D

When you grow a large enough bacteria colony to handle the levels of ammonia you're going to put into your tank (aka...fish), the tank is cycled. In a healthy tank, if you test it the result should always be 0 ammonia and 0 nitrItes.

The best thing to do is cycle your tank before you add fish. The way we do this is cutting out the middle man (the fish) and adding a pure ammonia source in it's place. This way you can basically simulate having a ton of fish in there and grow bacteria, without killing or permanently harming your fish.

The process takes anywhere from 2-5 weeks (much faster than with fish) and is super easy. Cycling a tank with fish can take months and is cruel to the fish you put in

I can type all of it out, but I have an AWESOME guide article I'm gonna link to you. There's a member on this site called 7Enigma who's an actual scientist and wrote a guide on how to do the perfect fishless cycle. I'm gonna link it to you and I want you to read it.

My buddy and I (his member name is Deckape) have lots of experience with fishless cycling and can help you along the way. It took us both 20 days to cycle our tanks and our fish are extremely happy and healthy.

Check out the guide real closely and we'll keep in close touch to help you along the way. I'm gonna send you a friend request to follow your progress better.

Sorry for making you read so much... and I need to apologize to my fingers. lol!

Here's the article- Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

I will read the crap out this fishless cycle and get back to you if i have any problems with this cycling, i never knew there was this much science to a fish tank, now my gf is askin ig i really wanna get involved with this stuff and all i said to her **** yes lol, thanks eco23 as i dont know ur real name, my name is Liam talk to ya soon. gn sir

Pigeonfood said:
I will read the crap out this fishless cycle and get back to you if i have any problems with this cycling, i never knew there was this much science to a fish tank, now my gf is askin ig i really wanna get involved with this stuff and all i said to her **** yes lol, thanks eco23 as i dont know ur real name, my name is Liam talk to ya soon. gn sir

Hey man, no problem. The way I see it is that if someone is gonna put in the effort to do it right, they deserve all the help they can get. God knows I needed help and got it from some great people here. My name is Eric. I'll send you a friend request and feel free to PM me anytime. I'll keep up with you...see ya bro!

Also, it sounds complicated when you read it, but it's actually really simple. You'll be glad you did it the right way :)

eco23 said:
Right, the best is an old filter from an established healthy tank. But gravel, plants...anything will help. It's not absolutely mandatory to have it, but it helps immensely. In fact, if you had enough seeding material you could instantly cycle your tank because you're adding so much healthy bacteria.

I have an old boat ornament and a filter that has green stuff all over it i think its algae tbh, would that work as a seed for cycling? Could I even use some of the gravel from that established tank too?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom