What bottom feeder to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragonfire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking for advice on what bottom feeder / tank cleaning fish to get. I am new to having a community fish tank and do not want to over stalk my tank by accident.

I currently have a refurbished long 20 gallon tank with an older power filter, heater, hood, and light. It has new aquarium gravel, silk plants, one moss ball, and decorations that don't have known rough edges (Sanded down any I found).
1x male half moon betta
1x ghost shrimp (had 6 but the Betta ate the others)
5x glolight tetras

I am ideally looking for a bottom feeder that can help eat uneaten fish food and help keep the tank clean, that was the idea with the ghost shrimp, but the betta has eaten most of them. I got the ghost shrimp 2 weeks before the tetras, and I think the tetras are distracting the betta's attention from the last lone ghost shrimp.

Recommendations from the local fish stores:

- Ghost Shrimp - hope the betta doesn't eat them now it has tetras to distract it

- Rubber lip, clown, or bristle nose plecostomus - I would like to avoid getting these because I had a dream recently that a plecostomus turned into a lamprey and attacked me.

-otocinclus catfish - though they can be a bit difficult for beginners like me.

-kuhli loach - love these fun fish, but only the mom-and-pop fish store has them and the chain pet stores do not. One chain Pet Store manager said they do not carry them anymore because their shipments kept dying.

What are your recommendations, what and how many should I get? Maybe a Placo and a few ghost shrimp?

Otos and Cory Cats are great cleaning crews. Otos are vegetarians so they won't eat protein flakes but they are great for algae.

Cory Cats will go after uneaten flakes that make it past the other fish and get to the bottom.

Also, I find Amano shrimp superior to ghost shrimp when it comes to appetite. Plecos will get big so I don't recommend them for your size tank. Dwarf Ancistrus might be an option but even they get to be over 4 inches.

Cories should be in groups. Very social fish. Most run around 2-2.5"
There are dwarf species that stay around an inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

^^^ groups of 5+ to add on. Many bettas don't mind Pygmy cories.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm surprised you actually don't have issues with a male betta with "GloLight" Tetras.

Depends on if they're the genetically modified glowlights or the normal ones. Normal ones aren't especially flashy, I don't think a betta would bother them.

Kuhli loaches are really great bottom dwellers. If you have enough places for them to hide you'll usually see them quite a bit. Ours almost never hide.

Depends on if they're the genetically modified glowlights or the normal ones. Normal ones aren't especially flashy, I don't think a betta would bother them.

Kuhli loaches are really great bottom dwellers. If you have enough places for them to hide you'll usually see them quite a bit. Ours almost never hide.

You're right. If they're the genetically modified ones (i.e the white skirts) then there will be a problem.

Stop making me want Kuhli's! :D

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The glolight tetras are plain looking with one vibrant orange stripe down their length. There was a little fin nipping from the betta initially, the tetras tried schooling with the betta, who wan't going to put up with it. Things have settled down now.

Thank you for the advice!

The glolight tetras are plain looking with one vibrant orange stripe down their length. There was a little fin nipping from the betta initially, the tetras tried schooling with the betta, who wan't going to put up with it. Things have settled down now.

Thank you for the advice!

Can you provide a picture so we can properly identify the tetras and go ahead and get a picture of that beautiful betta if you can. I love bettas, they're so awesome looking. :)

No picture needed, the description was perfect. Those are regular glowlight tetras; I have them myself. They'll be fine with bettas.

I'm thinking about getting one.. Would my lobster attack him? ?

Dwarf Crayfish (CPO) will try but they are usually too small. The larger ones (clarkii sized) well eat them. I have both sizes.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom