What can i do with a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asbestos

Aquarium Advice Activist
I feel silly asking but i started with a 10g and i moved everything into a 27 g a few months later. So now I got a empty 10g and a little bit more knowledge on aquariums. I want something more unique in the 10g I am torn between a shrimp tank or a betta. Also I like the idea of this But i believe it would get to big for my tank. Also i like fiddler crabs. Can i keep any small and cool looking Crayfish or crab in a 10g by themselves? I just want something more unique than just a community tank.:-D

I have 2 females in a community tank im kinda bored with bettas.

:) I love the females they have the best personalities of all my fish. I just want something more..unique like the crab or crayfish :p

But not saying a male betta is out of the picture yet, i just need some one to tell me the crabs or crayfish are a bad idea in a 10g :p

the crabs are a bad idea regardless, imo. in a 10g tank, there isnt much room to begin with, and by the time you make a place for them to dry off and go through the trouble of sealing in the tank (theyre escape artists), you have what looks like a terrarium/reptile tank/aquarium/paladarium (sort of)... jmo

A spare ten gallon tank? Get a pair of Tanganyikan shelldwellers. If you can find a bonded pair, that should be great.

Else, a planted shrimp tank looks like a good idea. A betta in a ten gallon tank seems like a pretty empty tank to me.

Tanganyikan shell dwellers look awesome, or at least a lot more interesting that bettas. But i have no experience with cichlids, but my PH is naturally around 8.0. I don't know if i should start with those.

african cichlids prefer a higher ph... most sa/ca cichlids like it a little lower... discus prefer a much lower ph. For the most part, anything between 6-8 will be satisfactory for almost any fish... Multis would be a nice addition for that tank. Im setting up a tang tank myself :)

So would a Ph of 8.0 be ok? And where do they sell them?

ph of 8 is fine... theyre kinda hard to find for some reason. best bet would be to place a wanted ad on here... i couldnt find them anywhere online when i was looking for them. but im sure somebody knows where to get them...

EDIT: or you can check aquabid ;) dkpate posted while i was typing lol

Multis or brevis should be fine to start. The multis would be better though, as you could probably have around 3 to 4 in a 10-gallon tank. Just make sure you have a lot of empty shells and you should be fine.

I unfortunately have a water softener, and after some research i think they need hard water. is there a way around this?

Back
Top Bottom