What can I feed my fish and shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmurphy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
With my first tank getting started this week, I'm asking my LFS to order Blue Pearl Shrimp and Green Neon Rasboras (Microdevario kobutai). I'm struggling to find consistent information on what to feed the nano rasboras (1" when full grown). Here are examples of what I've found:

http://fishkeeper.co.uk/site/databank/neon-greenyellow-rasbora-
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/microdevario-kubotai/

The best I can tell, they'll eat baby brine shrimp and micropellets. Any suggestions on frozen brine shrimp and micropellets you trust? Wild you suggest other kinds of food?

My small fish like New Life Spectrum small community pellets, the .5mm size. Hikari also makes a micropellet although they seem to like the NLS pellets better.

Thanks for your suggestions, LG! I'm going to go with NLS (.5) as a staple. Are there any frozen foods you like more than the others?

I have found that a java fern in the tank produces some algae and any baby snails that supplement my fish's diet.

You have a good point, Thranta. The algae and leftover food can supplement the shrimps pretty well. I might try frozen brine or small amounts of blanched veggies too.

It sounds like I'm making too much of a small decision. Thanks for the feedback :)

Another thing that I just started this week and seems to work really well is rotating the diet that my fish have. I usually do a flake feed every other day. In the meantime, I was letting my fish snack on algae and snails/snail sprog.

In order to keep a varied diet for them all, I'm still doing flake foods every other day, but doing either bloodworms or baby brine shrimp in between. It seems to be working well, and my guppy fry are finally learning what feeding time is about. (All though for them it's more of a treat, since they are primarily eating algae yet.)

Alternating pellets with frozen bloodworms (periodically) sounds like a good plan. I'll you with what they eat well and eat sparingly too. Thanks for all the feedback, I feel much more confident now.

My Cherry shrimp show little interest in the blood worms, but love the algae pellets. I keep White Cloud Minnows love the blood worms, flakes (careful not to include anything with copper as both breeds are sensitive to it), and the algae pellets. I also started my tank with a live sand substrate so the shrimp had foraging food as well.

Back
Top Bottom