What can I stock with my Mollies? Plants too!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MollysMollies

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All, I have a 20 gal tank that has newly finished a fish-less cycle. I moved my 3 female mollies in yesterday, 2 of which are expecting and one apple snail.

I have a 5 gal bow front that has 5 small fry from my 3rd Molly in it. I plan on keeping the 5 gal tank for fry until I can give away or sell them. I might keep a couple if I get nice colors.

I am looking for other fish that I could keep with my mollies. My ph stays around 8.0 and have hard alkaline water. I'm very new at fish keeping so I just need help making sure I'm adding fish that like the same water. I would like to add aquarium salt at a minimum level just to help with health of fish, but haven't added any to my 20 gal for fear of damaging my snail.

I'd like to add a pretty pleco or other bottom feeders. I love cooli loaches (sp?)

I am also interested in adding some live plants... Floating too.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe small tetras like cardinals. For plants if you're new any anubias. My favorite, it's not a floating one though, is an anubias nana. They're really hardy, and sometimes will flower. Mine is blooming right now.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408310382.063948.jpgsorry it's not the best lighting.

Can anyone else help with recommended tank pals? I read up on kuhli loaches and definitely want to get 6. Is this too many?

It might be, but I'm not an expert. Don't take it the wrong way if its wrong.

Thanks Blue. Yeah I read that the more the better for them to feel comfortable and show themselves more.

Okay so I think I've decided to add a Red Lobster, some ghost shrimp and a prehistoric dragon goby to my current mollies. My 5 year old will love the combination.

Please let me know if you see any concerns with this combo. Thanks!

I read something about them being able to live in freshwater also...I take it that this is not the best for the goby then, yes?

That's too bad. Do you think kuhli loaches would do alright with my hard alkaline water? I really love them but my ph is pretty stable at 7.6-8.0. I could use ph down to keep it lower if this would be better for all the fish.

You can use the site aquadvisor to try out different combos and populations of fish. It's better than the one inch per gallon rule.

Your pH is probably fine, especially since it's stable. Better to have it stable than to keep messing with it. Adding stuff to the water also brings up the conversation of osmotic stress.

Maybe other live bearers?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom