What did I do???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2oskierc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, my kids wanted guppies, so we went to the local pet chain, picked out an aquarium, brought it home, had the kids help me setup the tank, rinsed all the gravel, fake plants, decorations, heater, etc, and let the temperature stabilize and went back to the store to get fish. It is a 10G tank, and we have 3 neon tetras, 3 male fancy guppies, and an albino catfish (supposed to stay pretty small, like 1.5" but I don't remember the species). We used one of the safe start chemicals, and two weeks later, the fish all seem to be fine.

I know I need to get a test kit, and test the water and perform a water change (would a 50% change be too much for an improperly cycled tank?), but since I skipped the cycling process, what should I do now to ensure that these fish will have a good aquarium life? My other boy is now asking when he can add fish to the tank, and is quite anxious to do so, what should I do?

Anybody have recommendations for a good fish to add? I like schooling fish better, so they have to be small. Have I already maxed out the aquarium?

Thanks,

Chris

I know I need to get a test kit, and test the water and perform a water change (would a 50% change be too much for an improperly cycled tank?), but since I skipped the cycling process, what should I do now to ensure that these fish will have a good aquarium life? My other boy is now asking when he can add fish to the tank, and is quite anxious to do so, what should I do?

First, get the liquid test kit right away. Don't buy strips.

Your tank is cycling, your fish just haven't shown the stress yet, or maybe you just aren't seeing it, not being totally familiar with fish yet.

50 % PWC daily is advisable until the cycling process is over.

Once your tank is cycle 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and minimal nitrates, it will be safe to add more fish.

Your neon tetras are shoaling fish, and should be kept in groups of six or more.

So filling out the school to six or more neons (mixing different types of tetras doesn't count) will be important to their well-being.

You probably shouldn't add to many more than that to a 10 gallon. :)

It happens more times than not, and chains don't care beyond the sale most times. Look in FW articles for cycling with fish and a 50% PWC is going to be a daily thing for a while. I'd suggest an API FW Master test kit and using Prime to cure your water, since you can double dose to keep the ammo from burning the fishes gills. IMO, you're maxed out but others may have a better idea.

Good luck!

Your kids might get a kick out of CRS, but wait to see what others might think about this kind of addition.

There are several shrimp varieties that would probably work, but not until the tank is 100% cycled. They are very sensative to ammonia.

mudraker said:
There are several shrimp varieties that would probably work, but not until the tank is 100% cycled. They are very sensative to ammonia.

Agreed, just giving an option to adding fish, which will raise the bioload. Plus those are really cool looking shrimp :D.

Mr. Limpet said:
Plus those are really cool looking shrimp :D.

They are, I have them on my list for once the tank is cycled. For now, were just doing the pwcs and watching things!

I decided to switch from fake plants to real ones. Ammonia was .25 ppm before my first pwc (two weeks after getting the tank), so for now I am going to test/pwc daily until the tank is cycled. My wife and kids are anxious to add some more fish, so I am trying to educate them about cycling now too.

Just remember, only about 3 maybe 4 more neons and that would be about it, IMO. Plus the shrimp if you are going to get them. Small tanks are hard to stay on top of water parameters and keep stable, especially if overstocked. A larger tank with more water gives more room for error so you'll have to be consistent with pwc's and testing in your 10 gal. Its hard though, I know especially with kids! Or even without kids! When I started, I listened to the advice at the lfs and ended up with four goldfish in a 15 gal tank, when in reality I really needed a 40-50 gal tank! And I didn't know a thing about cycling, so at least you are off to a good start. You don't have too many fish at the moment and you came here pretty quickly for advice. When you're first getting started, its hard to believe how much is involved in fishkeeping and it seems complicated. BUt once the tank is cycled and stable and you've done some research, its not so hard. Good luck.

Depending on the age of your children, explain to them that the fish are basically using the tank for a toilet and the more fish, the more waste they produce, which is poison to fish.

Well, today's ammonia level was .5 PPM. Doing another water change. I vacuumed the gravel yesterday, wondering if that has something to do with the spike... Don't know what I was thinking on that one.

Well, today's ammonia level was .5 PPM. Doing another water change. I vacuumed the gravel yesterday, wondering if that has something to do with the spike... Don't know what I was thinking on that one.

Yep, during any cycle it's best to let the bacteria build where they may IMO. How're your other levels doing, any movement?

Yep, during any cycle it's best to let the bacteria build where they may IMO. How're your other levels doing, any movement?

Ammonia is consistently .25ppm (when I check it anyway), while Nitrite and Nitrates are 0ppm. I did my testing and 50% PWC this morning, and will check again tonight, hoping Ammonia will be below that .25 mark for sanity's sake...

Man, I wish I would have found this forum and learned about cycling BEFORE...

Ammonia is consistently .25ppm, while Nitrite and Nitrates are 0ppm. I did my testing and 50% PWC this morning, and will check again tonight, hoping Ammonia will be below that .25 mark for sanity's sake...

Man, I wish I would have found this forum and learned about cycling BEFORE...

Are you using Prime to dechlorinate your water? When doing a PWC double dose for the total tank volume, not just what you're putting into the tank. With Prime, you'll still see ammo but it's not as toxic to the fish and the bacteria will still be able to use it.

Fish in cycling is tough, but it sounds like you're on top of it. IMO/E, as long as the fish look happy, moving around, eating, etc then you're doing good. If they have labored gill movement (breathing), or always at the top of the tank, a PWC is needed.

FYI: I got some CRS (Crystal Red Shrimp) this past weekend and they're great. I could only get babies and they were still $8 a piece :eek:, but a great addition to my community tank.

I'm not using Prime, but Tetra's version of it. I haven't been doing a double dose, but I will with the next PWC.

I haven't found RCS here locally. Are the mail order sites worth looking at?

I'm not using Prime, but Tetra's version of it. I haven't been doing a double dose, but I will with the next PWC.

I haven't found RCS here locally. Are the mail order sites worth looking at?

You should read the directions on the Tetra stuff, I can't say if it can be double dosed or not. Prime can be and Seachem recommends double dosing in you situation. In some instances, you can dose prime to 5X the norm on occasion with no ill effects.

I've never done mail order for any live stock, so can't really say. Others here have and had mostly good luck from what I've read.

Tonight my Ammonia is less than .25 PPM, but not 0. I think I am going to leave the tank alone, though. Nitrates and Nitrites are both still 0, and I am concerned that another PWC will slow any development of the Ammonia eating bacteria. Is this thinking flawed?

The fish all seem great, swimming around and all of them are definitely eating still. The guppies even come to the surface of the tank as soon as I open the lid. It is funny, like they see me coming to feed them!

h2oskierc said:
Tonight my Ammonia is less than .25 PPM, but not 0. I think I am going to leave the tank alone, though. Nitrates and Nitrites are both still 0, and I am concerned that another PWC will slow any development of the Ammonia eating bacteria. Is this thinking flawed?

The fish all seem great, swimming around and all of them are definitely eating still. The guppies even come to the surface of the tank as soon as I open the lid. It is funny, like they see me coming to feed them!

I'd say hold off too, but check it in the AM and be ready for a quick PWC. For me that's the biggie too, because if they look happy, not stressed then you're doing good.

Ammonia still .125 and nitrite/nitrate still 0. Letting the tank continue to fester.

On a side note: My plants are beginning to turn brown, is there a fertilizer I can use while cycling?

Back
Top Bottom