What do I need to add to RO/DI water to make it safe to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will be inheriting my mothers fresh water tank shortly and I was wondering what is needed to make RO/DI water viable for the freshy world.

I know that the water straight from the tap is fine for freshwater as long as it's dechlorinated, but I am a water control freak, and I like to know exactly what's in my water when I use it (Reef tank habit lol).

So my question is, what supplements or additives do I need to add to my RO/DI water to make it suitable for use?

The only additive I use for my RO/DI water is....... tap water :blink:

I have pretty hard tap water (Gh-280/Kh-240), so I re-blend my filtered and tap (about 60%/40%) to maintain tank water at about Gh-120/Kh-90. After blending, I add my dechlor, let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, and do my water change.

Thanks for the tip Phranque, but I'm trying to avoid using tap water in any way. Does anyone know of any other way? I suppose I could use some ph buffers, but I was looking for something a little more absolute.

I was going to say, that RO right is what I've seen a lot of people that use RO/DI say they add. No experience with it, but it seems to be used a lot

The R/O- Rite raises GH and adds minerals, electrolytes, etc...but it barely touches kH at all (even though it claims to raise it). I'd definitely recommend buffering your water as well if you're using that product...or find another brand which adds alkalinity as well.

Last edited:
Glad to see some people have actually used it successfully, and thanks for the heads up on the kH Geo. I'll be testing it to see what kind of levels I have once I mix my first batch up.

Back
Top Bottom