What do I need to start a cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a 10g tank with stand, filter, substrate and lights for $20. I'm thinking of trying small cichlids for a change and with no plants. Is the tank too small? Which fish can I keep and how many? Is fluval 204 enough filtration? Any lights will be fine? I read that cichlids like hard water. Do I need to buy crushed coral substrate? Do I need rocks to set up caves? Thanks in advance :)

Not all cichlids prefer hard water, as I'm sure you're aware with your discus ;) In a 10g, you're going to want to look at multis, brevis, or occies. I had some multis in a 10g for well over a year until I sold them. They are fun little fish. All you need is substrate and shells for them.

mfdrookie516 said:
Not all cichlids prefer hard water, as I'm sure you're aware with your discus ;) In a 10g, you're going to want to look at multis, brevis, or occies. I had some multis in a 10g for well over a year until I sold them. They are fun little fish. All you need is substrate and shells for them.

When I said hard water I was thinking of African cichlids. Lol

Are the fish that you recommended African or south American(am I right with the classifications?)?

Small shells or big ones for the fish to hide?

I like how the small cichilds look like :) Can they go together? Are the big chain stores selling them?

They are africans (lake tanganyika I do believe). Here's a pic of my old multi setup.

img_1374521_0_cf0760e8f12f14daad302c4531b6b4e3.jpg

Nice. I'll go with your setup and fishes. Does these cichlids uproot plants or nip at them? Anubias and java fern maybe? I want to try cichlids but I feel like a FW tank with no plants is incomplete. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom