What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 26 Gallon Bowfront aquarium. It measure's 24W x 20H x 12D. I have white 1/4" gravel with 7 or 8 lava rocks placed in such a way that I have created about three good hiding places. I have always wanted cichlids but I know my aquarium is on the small side.

So what I was planing was to plant some live plants next and getting myself a few tiger barbs to start the fish cycle. I have run the aquarium now for a week just to start the bio on the filter. Then I plan on adding;

1 Bristlenose
1 Cory cat
2 dwarf gourami's
2 otto cats
3 cardinal tetras
4 guppies

I have done some research on these fish and I believe I'm ok on size's of fish and I am aware of the pH required as well as Temp's.

My only improvements to this that I would like to make is to substitute or get fish that are really active and enjoy swimming in the middle of the aquarium.

Any suggestions? And as a side note, is my aquarium to small for a cichlid tank? If not what would anybody suggest? And if limited to only a few cichlids could I add any other fish to the aquarium to populate it?

Thanks.

If you haven't been adding ammonia you haven't done anything for the filter by running it for a week.

I really recommend reading the sticky at the top of the forum about fishless cycling. It's faster, less work and far better for your fish.

First off,
Tiger barbs and dwarf gourami don't mix, I tried it and the tiger barbs took chunks out of the gouramis tails.(tiger barbs and guppies either)
If you get corys you will want at least 2 or 3, they want each others company and will play alot together.
Cichlids? If you want Cichlids you will have to scrap your entire list and start over. It depends on what type. Africans you can have maybe 4 along with maybe a few tiger barbs. They will lay claim to areas of the bottom and like to excavate. I have kept bristlenose with them and they did ok but stayed hidden more than when in a peacfull tank (Cichlids are semi aggressive)

If you want South American cichlids you could go with rams. You might could get away with a pair of kribensis if you want African.

Back
Top Bottom