What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So this is a 80 gallon that I'm planning on buying.
Since my family never uses the coffee table I figured there would be no disruptions to the fish.
So how many fish would I be able to put in this?
And can pleco's and African drawf frogs live together?
Oh lol and also what heater and filter would you recommend?
Thankyou :D

Attachments

• image-3901046476.jpg
    image-3901046476.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 70
Wow nice! It isn't a matter of how many fish but what kind. What kind of Pleco? I wouldn't recommend ADFs for a tank size that large. What's the height? They need to come up for air and are nearly blind and aren't good swimmers. Plus you may need to feed them by hand to ensure they get food. What kind of fish are you interested in?

librarygirl said:
Wow nice! It isn't a matter of how many fish but what kind. What kind of Pleco? I wouldn't recommend ADFs for a tank size that large. What's the height? They need to come up for air and are nearly blind and aren't good swimmers. Plus you may need to feed them by hand to ensure they get food. What kind of fish are you interested in?

-2 pleco's (male + female)
-6 balloon mollies (If possible)
-however many guppies (if I have to be precise I'll get 5 females and 5 males)
- 3 female bettas (already have them)
And 2 African dwarf frogs

That was from a previous post.
And the pleco's are bristlenose catfish

I'd say that stocking is OK offhand, but maybe someone with more compatibility experience will say for sure. I'd say just watch the Bettas for aggression. How high is the tank? If it's higher than 15" I'd say no to the ADFs as they need to come up for air and aren't the greatest swimmers. If it isn't that deep you could try it provided you could hand-feed them H&H Tadpole and Frog bites and some meaty foods as well to ensure they are getting fed. If there's a problem with them getting food or air you may need to put them into their own tank. Also be prepared for a lot of guppy babies lol.

pattyfurg said:

That's a really cool tank! I don't see a problem with keeping those fish in a tank like that. With the guppies the ratio is male 1:2-3 female. I'm pretty sure it's the same with the mollies. I'm sure you already know the three bettas may or may not work.

Unfortunately African dwarf frogs are illegal in Australia. There are some in the country but they are near impossible to get. In Aus you can't keep any type of imported reptile or amphibian. Thats why we never see anyone keeping things like chameleons.

Are you aware that balloon fish are specifically bred with a deformity? I don't advocate anyone purchasing these fish, since the more that are bought, the more that will have to suffer.

mfdrookie516 said:
Are you aware that balloon fish are specifically bred with a deformity? I don't advocate anyone purchasing these fish, since the more that are bought, the more that will have to suffer.

+1 on this, but it always comes down to what people want.

We can only educate so many people on the pitfalls here and with other sticky subjects like "rescuing" cup housed Betta.

Hopefully if we can post these messages on posts about these subjects a google search would like to a thread on this site an people would see the warnings.

A mad mans dream maybe? I dunno :S

Sharkbait54 said:
How much are you paying, if you don't mind my asking?

Well the price is $690 but I negotiated it to $450 :D pretty good huh

Bettas would not be an option for this tank IMO. Bettas are jumpers. Especially the females. I would only keep them in tanks with lids.

Same for ADF's. Frogs who surface to breathe should not be kept in an open tank like that. I don't think they should be kept with fish at all, but if you must, the tank needs a lid.

Balloon mollies are bred to be deformed. They have curved spines that affect their swimming and they often have health issues and shortened lifespans. Obviously you have to decide what you personally think is right, but in my opinion, this practice is unethical and I encourage you to purchase regular mollies. :)

As far as filtration goes, I'm not sure what your options would really be. I think coffee table tanks usually run a UGF.

Back
Top Bottom