what filter media for my canister filters, 180 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am helping my dad set up a 180 gallon freshwater tank, and I have ordered two sunsun hw-3000 canister filters for it, as well as some filter media bags. Those canisters have 5 trays and move just under 800gph each.

We are leaning towards oscars or other cichlids, but have not decided on fish yet.

What filter media should I put in them?

I have looked at the link below, but there is a bit of information overload there...
https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/7-filter-media/

I'm thinking one tray with polyester floss, 2 trays with 30ppi pond sponge, another tray full of pot scrubbers, and 1 tray with activated charcoal?

Does it matter all that much as long as I have some mechanical (floss/sponge), bio (pot scrubbers / sponge), and chemical (charcoal) filtration?

Perhaps 2x pot scrubbers instead of 2x sponge?

Unless you have a need for the charcoal i wouldnt bother with it. I would go with extra biomedia, in your case pot scrubbers.

Only put chemical media in if its needed for a particular reason, and after its no longer needed dont replace it.

Charcoal is useful for removing tannins and meds and these are only temporary requirements. It also removes smells, but if you keep up with your water maintenance that shouldn't be an issue. Charcoal only lasts a couple of weeks, so you need to keep replacing it, and its expensive.

Charcoal is useful for removing tannins and meds and these are only temporary requirements. It also removes smells, but if you keep up with your water maintenance that shouldn't be an issue. Charcoal only lasts a couple of weeks, so you need to keep replacing it, and its expensive.

Thanks, I didn't know this.

Agree with Aiken Drum about the pot scrubbers as media. Fill both canisters up with as many that will fit and just do a quick rinse under water about every 6-8 months. They take forever to clog...

I am helping my dad set up a 180 gallon freshwater tank, and I have ordered two sunsun hw-3000 canister filters for it, as well as some filter media bags. Those canisters have 5 trays and move just under 800gph each.

We are leaning towards oscars or other cichlids, but have not decided on fish yet.

I have looked at the link below, but there is a bit of information overload there...

I'm thinking one tray with polyester floss, 2 trays with 30ppi pond sponge, another tray full of pot scrubbers, and 1 tray with activated charcoal?

Does it matter all that much as long as I have some mechanical (floss/sponge), bio (pot scrubbers / sponge), and chemical (charcoal) filtration?

Hello, whatever bio media you choose you want to keep it clean as possible. So my setup is similar to yours except I like to put sponge in bottom tray, floss 2nd then a layer of floss under my bio media in each tray. I bought seachem matrix as my bio because it doesn't break down & never has to be replaced. Simply rinse & put back in filter. Was thinking of getting biohome but it only lasts about 5-6yrs & pricey. Hope this helps!!!!!

Actually you do not want to clean your media that much at all. All that does is remove your beneficial bacteria and it goes down the drain and you may end up with cloudy water and possibly an ammonia spike. Here is why you don't want to thoroughly clean you media.
Edit: sorry for the confusion. By saying to keep it clean(xtra floss under bio). I was talking about while running in canister you don't want crud building up on your bio because it will clog & render it useless. My mistake!!!!!

Edit: sorry for the confusion. By saying to keep it clean(xtra floss under bio). I was talking about while running in canister you don't want crud building up on your bio because it will clog & render it useless. My mistake!!!!!
Agree that's why you want to run media that does not clog and will let your canister go 6-8 months before cleaning. Pot scrubbers are most likely the best for canisters. Just don't want to use any media that will clog or is inefficient especially in a canister filter.

Not to cause controversy but if you wait to clean your canister filters 6+ mo then thier no longer a filter & more like a nitrate factory.
Well not really. Need to know the science of Nitrate 'factories'. Using good media I only clean my canister every 6 months now. Change water once a month to keep nitrate down to 40-80 ppm (API same color for both) since nitrates are not that bad.

OK, so? Someone's recommendation is fine. Just that nitrates are not that toxic period as proven in the link, not just pictures pulled off the web with no facts.

My apologies to original poster. It was not my intention to hijack your post. Every tank is different. What works for some doesn't always work for others. Just wanted to help & not hinder!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom