what fish can i have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevieb2k11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I cureently have cardinal tetras ember tetras and a loach (not sire what its called its black with yellowish spots) ehst other fish can i have woth them

Its a 65ltr i think its a catfish loach its been setup well over a year and yes it has been cycled just looking for some colourfull fish for it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130921_170645.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130921_170645.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 47
Exactly how many of each type of fish do you have? What kind of filter? How much and how often do you do water changes? What are your current parameters? Temperature, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Do you have any live plants? These would all help us make the right suggestions for your tank.

That's about a 17 gallon tank? The fish looks like some sort of pleco.

I change them out ever 2 to 3 weeks i am jot sure about nitrate and nitrite and amonia the filter is just a standard one with the tank all i was just wondring was any fish that are colourfull that can go woth these type of fish

I have 5 cardinal tetras and 4 ember tetras just wanted to add a little bit more colour to the tank

I change them out ever 2 to 3 weeks i am jot sure about nitrate and nitrite and amonia the filter is just a standard one with the tank all i was just wondring was any fish that are colourfull that can go woth these type of fish

You change what out every 2-3 weeks?

First of all before you even consider adding anything, you need to use that money to buy a good liquid reagent test kit and check your parameters. Your weekly water changes should depend on your bioload.

For example If your nitrates are up to 20 ppm at the end of each week you can change maybe 20-30 percent of the water and get them below 20. But then if the nitrates are 40ppm at the end of the week then you can do at least 50 percent water change and get them down below 20.

If your only doing a water change and maintenance every 2-3 weeks then I would say no you can not add anymore fish. If you want more fish you need to invest in a test kit and decide how much work your willing to put into weekly maintenance. More fish equals more maintenance.

I change about 15 to 25% as thats what my lfs told me to and i havnt had trouble with it
This is how much water you change every 2-3 weeks? It may be enough but its hard to know of youve never tested your water.
You should test your water levels and determine of your preforming water changes often enough. Then you can decide if you are willing to put more work in when you add more stock.

I only test my water when there's a problem or if I add something and want to make sure everything is ok. Once you know where your at you don't have to test all the time.

Then you have to decide what else you might want to add. Do you want another school of fish? Or maybe some small bottom feeders? Or do you want a loner?

A German blue ram or bolivian ram would be a nice addition but they need very good water quality.

Just to summarize:

1. Get a test kit - Most of us on here use the API freshwater master test kit. You can get it on amazon or ebay for around half of what it is in stores.

2. You are pretty fully stocked - You might have heard of the inch per gallon rule. Basically, you can have 1 inch of fish for every gallon of water. Now remember, THIS RULE IS NOT PERFECT! For example, some fish will fight eachother, and some need a minimum tank size, and some produce more waste than others (which is known as having a high bioload). So take that into consideration.

3. You should get a centerpiece fish - A centerpiece fish is a fish that is usually on its own or in pairs, and it is pretty colorful, and usually bigger than most of the other fish. Some have recommended rams and dwarf gouramis. I think a dwarf gourami would be best, because a 17 gallon is maybe a bit small for rams, and they need great water.

And I want to add:

1. Tetras need at least 5 in a school - So get 1 more of whichever one has 4.

2. Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

:welcome:

P.S. Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions, or post them on here! :) To PM, just click on their name, and click on the one that says "send a private message to..."

Back
Top Bottom