What Fish Can I Put In A 10 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamek909

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i found out my tanks crowded and im goinh to the pet store tommorow to return them. I was wondering how manu fish and what fish can i put in a 10 gal? Im interested in the neon tetras. Their colorful and i know they like to school so how many can i put in a 10 gal? Is there other fish i can put?

Im going to take everything out and do the cycle before i put in the neon tetras. Ok ill get 6 and can i put any other fish with the 6? Or can i get 4 and some other fish? Id like to mix it up with diff kinds but i wanna do whats right because i messed up already and got the wrong fish.

I propose:

6 neon tetras
6 dwarf or pygmy cories
2-3 guppies

BUT. BIG BUT.
You shouldn't just buy all of those fish at once. I've checked out your threads and you have an uncycled tank. If you just toss fish into it, they are going to die.

You're on the right track coming here for help! People here will help you.

Step 1: Cycle the tank. You can do it with fish food.
You need a test kit.

Decide to be patient. Return the fish, and buy an API Master Test Kit. If Amazon is available to you and you're in the US, that is the cheapest place to buy it
Then you can get started cycling your tank. You won't be able to have fish for a few weeks.

But if you cycle your tank first, the fish won't die when you add them. Otherwise you are inevitably going to lose some.

Yeah ive done my research about cycling and the test kits. Im new to this hobby and i want to stay in it. I didnt know anything about cycling i didnt even know it existed lol till i downloaded this app. Well anyways i will cycle my tank before i add fish.

Ok do your cycle and for a 10 gallon there are a few options besides the neon tetra look up some of these

Harlequin Rasbora
Honey Gourami
Dwarf Gourami
Pygmy Cory
Ghost Shrimp
Celestial Pearl Danio
Cardinal Tetra

I really like the dwarf gourami, celestial pearl danio, and the cardinal tetra. Now how many can i put in my 10 gal?

I wouldn't do all of them together. Also be aware that dwarf gouramis are fairly sensitive at first and can die easily for about a month. They usually come in sick but if they make it through a month they are very hardy. You could do
1- Dwarf Gourami
6- cardinal tetra or 6- celestial danios

Then for the bottom would just add ghost shrimp. Add like 8 they have really no bioload and are neat to watch.

Ok so i can have all of those that u juss said in my 10 gal? lol

He said 6- cardinal tetra or 6- celestial danios not both
I agree, pick one. Not room for 2 schools

Yeah i know im juss making sure so i wont mess things up again

Cardinal tetras and neon tetras are very different because cardinals appreciate very low pH, and grow too large to be in a 10 gallon tank. Even neons are a bit of a stretch.

I'm juss saying ;)

Nah imma get neon tetras for a 10 gal im done hearing diff things each time

Back
Top Bottom