What Fish For My 20g gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
What Fish should I get for my 20 Gallon aquarium?

Info:
-Heater(obviously)
-2 filters(Aqueon quietflow 30 and aqua-tech 10-20)
-Live Plants

Already have a Bolivian Ram and Siamese Algae Eater and oto on my list and I know the siamese is a bit big but I like it.

The fish I want are COMMUNITY fish and semi aggressive.
I am not a begginer so you can suggest different. Just make sure its not to hard to take care of:lol: :p
Opinion is very much appreciated

Thank You

meese-a-mew said:
What Fish should I get for my 20 Gallon aquarium?

Info:
-Heater(obviously)
-2 filters(Aqueon quietflow 30 and aqua-tech 10-20)
-Live Plants

Already have a Bolivian Ram and Siamese Algae Eater and oto on my list and I know the siamese is a bit big but I like it.

The fish I want are COMMUNITY fish and semi aggressive.
I am not a begginer so you can suggest different. Just make sure its not to hard to take care of:lol: :p
Opinion is very much appreciated

Thank You

The sae will lose its taste for algae after awhile as it gets bigger and can possibly become very aggressive and suck the slime coat off of other fish in the tank and get to big for a 20g

True on the Siamese algae eater I had a mature male and notices holes in the fish housed with him, they are also known as Siamese kissing fish and not in a good way. I mean Chinese sorry, not Siamese......

Are we talking about a Chinese algae eater, a flying fox or a Siamese algae eater? The CAE can be very aggressive as it matures, the FF prefers to be kept alone (none of its own kind) and a true SAE prefers to be kept in groups. The latter is very peaceful and eats algae throughout its life. The first two are a big nono in a 20g. IMO a SAE doesn't belong in a 20g for two reasons. One, because they get rather large and two, if you plan to keep ottos the SAE will hog all the food.
This article explains the differences.
http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm

My bad .....Siamese..... I've had two yes they are very peaceful fish and always did a good job on cleaning . If I am correct the Siamese don't get that big 6in .... They need to be held with peaceful fish.

A 20g limits you to what fish but you can go a couple different ways. You could get a male and two female Honey Gourami's (they also come in Sunset Honey and Golden Honey color varieties) or you could do a school of semi-agressive fish, like some of the medium sized tetras. A school of 6 White or Black skirt tetra's, Emperior tetra's, and several other types you can look up. I wouldn't do any tiger barbs as they would most likely harass your Ram. If you went with the Honey Gourami's you could see about adding a pair of Apistogramma agassizii (Double red Agassizii's are pretty common and very nice). All you need to do is add some DW and plant your tank pretty heavy and that would make a nice little 20g set up.

I like the Apistogramma agassizii its pretty nice. How much money is it for them?

Depends where you are, if you can get them locally, or if you have to ship them in. Around here they are $20 per fish when they have them.

I have some white cloud minnows in my 15gal tank. They are small but are a very awesome fish to watch! I would reccammend you to get some.

Back
Top Bottom