What Fish Should I Put In A 10 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xmaryelizabeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As my last post on here stated, I am new to more complex fish tanks.

I was wondering what types of fish would be well suited for my 10 Gallon Tank? Also, what features, decorations or live plants would they need?

You have some options. Some examples are:

-- 6-8 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio. Unfortunately nano fish can be hard to find locally (I bought my CPD from a breeder online). Most tetras, danios and rasboras are too active for a 10 gal but nano fish would work; just be sure they are truly nano fish. Neon tetras for example are small but very active and would prefer a larger tank (although some disagree) and aren't truly nano fish. You could also do 1-2 scarlet badis (again not easy to find) and maybe 4 pygmy or dwarf cory (again corys are debatable in a small tank due to their activity level. Pygmy or dwarfs are the smallest ones, don't get any of the larger types, but again they can be hard to find). OR
-- a single betta (very entertaining, I love mine). You can add some shrimp or snails or even the corys if the betta tolerates them (some tolerate tank mates, some won't) OR
-- 3-4 guppies OR
-- 2-3 platy OR
-- 3 african dwarf frogs OR
-- 2 dwarf puffers

There are other options, those are just a few.

You have some options. Some examples are:

-- 6-8 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio. Unfortunately nano fish can be hard to find locally (I bought my CPD from a breeder online). Most tetras, danios and rasboras are too active for a 10 gal but nano fish would work; just be sure they are truly nano fish. Neon tetras for example are small but very active and would prefer a larger tank (although some disagree) and aren't truly nano fish. You could also do 1-2 scarlet badis (again not easy to find) and maybe 4 pygmy or dwarf cory (again corys are debatable in a small tank due to their activity level. Pygmy or dwarfs are the smallest ones, don't get any of the larger types, but again they can be hard to find). OR
-- a single betta (very entertaining, I love mine). You can add some shrimp or snails or even the corys if the betta tolerates them (some tolerate tank mates, some won't) OR
-- 3-4 guppies OR
-- 2-3 platy OR
-- 3 african dwarf frogs OR
-- 2 dwarf puffers

There are other options, those are just a few.

I was actually thinking doing another betta, I've always had success with them and they are beautiful. Would a betta enjoy a live plant inside? I know some people use them in the bottoms of plants, but do the fish enjoy a whole plant?

Probably. I have some live plants in with mine (java ferns and swords); he lays on the leaves sometimes.

Do I need to "cycle" for a betta? I just learned about cycling and I have never had to do this for a betta, and I've had 5 in my life all living years. They also all lived in bowls and one lived in the bottom of a plant.

Yep, bettas need cycled tanks too. The tank will cycle regardless of whether you do anything to it, but it's suggested to test the water and change it out when ammonia or nitrite reach a certain level in order to spare the fish from toxin poisoning (for a fish-in cycle).

okay!! thank you!! i think ill stick with what ive had success in from now on haha.

Back
Top Bottom