What fish to put in my tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdklovesfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 15g tank. Right now I have just gone through cycling and have added three assorted Platys. The pet store associate (seemed super knowledgeable and offered alot of the same advice found here) suggested that I stick with the "e" fish. As in Mollies, Platys and Guppies. He said after I grew alge to then add a Chinese Alge Eater and a Cory Cat. I love my Platys and like Mollies, but not so much on the Guppies. I've heard mixed reviews on this forum about the CAE and have heard that Corys need another Cory or two to be happy. I love loaches! Can I have a loach or two? What do you guys think would be good at co-habitating? I don't have room for a larger tank so everything I put in must stay in this tank. Thanks!!!! Sorry this is a novel!!

I am not an expert but I can u a few things! First all the "e" fish you mentioned are live bearers so you can expect to have a whole lot more fish than you started out with, second, yes cories really need companions they are schooling fish, third CAE actually get quite large, I personally haven't seen the aggression but with small fish and a small tank I am not sure I would do one.

Well okay then! I have three Platys. Could I do three Cory Cats an algae eater of some kind and a few others? What aren't livebearers that go well with Corys and Platys? Which type of algae eater would you suggest instead? How about loaches? Also do I really have to add them two or three at a time and then wait a week to add two or three more?

Loaches for a 15 gallon would have to be kuhlis or sidthumunki chain loaches.

kdklovesfish said:
Well okay then! I have three Platys. Could I do three Cory Cats an algae eater of some kind and a few others? What aren't livebearers that go well with Corys and Platys? Which type of algae eater would you suggest instead? How about loaches? Also do I really have to add them two or three at a time and then wait a week to add two or three more?

I'm making an assumption which may very well be wrong, but please know you don't need an algae eater. If you want something that happens to eat algae, that's cool. I like mystery snails, but you could do otocinclus or I think a bristle nose plecostomus. (The otocinclus should also be in a small group.)

As far as non-livebearers, there are several small species of tetras or rasboras which would be fine.

And yes, you want to add fish slowly so you don't exceed the capacity of your beneficial bacteria bed and have a mini cycle.

Rutrag said:
I'm making an assumption which may very well be wrong, but please know you don't need an algae eater. If you want something that happens to eat algae, that's cool. I like mystery snails, but you could do otocinclus or I think a bristle nose plecostomus. (The otocinclus should also be in a small group.)

As far as non-livebearers, there are several small species of tetras or rasboras which would be fine.

And yes, you want to add fish slowly so you don't exceed the capacity of your beneficial bacteria bed and have a mini cycle.

Supper helpful! Thanks!! I didn't know that I didn't need an algae eater. I think I may go with a bn plecostomus or a mystery snail since I don't have alot of room in a 15g and don't want to many more schoolers and would enjoy an algae eater to help keep the tank cleaner.
I have also heard that tetras are too aggressive for Platys. Do you think so?

Dang! I've been researching and plecostomus are too big and snails are escape artists. Does anyone have a suggestion for a community algae eater that will stay small enough for a 15g?

kdklovesfish said:
Dang! I've been researching and plecostomus are too big and snails are escape artists. Does anyone have a suggestion for a community algae eater that will stay small enough for a 15g?

The common pleco will be too large for you but certain species like the bristlenose will only grow to around 6" but in a small tank watch your water parameters because plecos leave alot of waste. Good luck !!

If l'm not mistaken the chinese algea eaters can grow to about 20-24"

Last edited:
Snails are pretty good, I have 2.. well 3.. 4.. ok maybe 5 Mystery snails in my 29 gallon.. I really cant say where the little baby ones are coming from :brows:

I dont think they have ever tried to get out, I see them swim up the water line once in a while and 1 of them loves to sleep where the powerhead is hitting the side of the tank.

I have an Albino Pleco in my 20 gal. Some pet store will take them back once they outgrow your tank.

Back
Top Bottom