What is an optimal reading in the api water test kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tashangel31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Know for everything it should be zero... But I am wanting to know for nitrate should it have a reading or if the tank is fully cycled should it read zero. If not what is the optimal number for nitrates? Thanks

Y'all are very helpful.

Ps I am so excited cause I have my first fry and 3 days old they have all survived. Yaya.

Tashangel31 said:
Know for everything it should be zero... But I am wanting to know for nitrate should it have a reading or if the tank is fully cycled should it read zero. If not what is the optimal number for nitrates? Thanks

Y'all are very helpful.

Ps I am so excited cause I have my first fry and 3 days old they have all survived. Yaya.

Congrats on the babies!! Nitrate will keep on building and building until you do you weekly PWC. It dose not need to be zero at all and won't be unless you have a heavily planted tank. (In that situation you actually need to add them!) Aim for anywhere below 40ppm.

In a fully cycled tank you'll always have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Nitrate is an end product of the nitrification process so you should always have some nitrate (unless as was said you have a very heavily planted tank). Nitrates don't leave the tank unless its' through water changes, so thats' why weekly water changes are important to keep nitrates low. Ideal conditions are for nitrates to be kept <20, 40 max. Weekly pwc also replenish the water with minerals that your fish use up, so that's why a good regular pwc schedule is important.

Whatever your PH is is likely fine for fish as long as it's stable.

Back
Top Bottom