What is better gravel or sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KendallTraylor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is a better choice for my aquarium it's a fresh water 55gal community tank it's got live plants and when I do water changes the ammonia level goes down but shortly after goes right back to what is was befor now is this due to settlement I can't reach in the gravel I have heard sand is easier to clean because the trash sits on top is this true

No it is more than likely due to your poor stocking choices.

Have you returned the Sharks, CAE. etc like you have already been advised to do?

Your ammonia is probably rising quick because of the massive bio-load ALL your fish are creating in your tank.

You need to stay on top of PWC's to keep ammonia levels below 0.25ppm. Once your tank is cycled then decide whether to change substrate.

Jon

Yep.. Ammonia isn't caused by your substrate. It is caused by poor stocking/not being cycled.

If you have a cycled tank, decaying matter will be converted to nitrates wether you get it with a gravel vac or not, and the ammonia will not even be around.

well i dont know about your stocking issues but im in the process of swapping to PFS <pool filter sand> and let me tell you, its CHEAP yes, but ive spent probably 2-4 hours on 100lbs of sand just to get it "clear" enough to put into the tank, and by clear i mean it still clouded the water for a good 4 hours before it cleared. That said man it looks beautiful in the 10 gallon im setting up for a beta, figured i would try it small scale before i do my 50 gallon lol and tbh its been a chore to dump and refill 5 gallon buckets over and over however i think ive got it figured out, less is more in that you can rinse off less about 1/8 a bag ALOT faster than you can say 1/4 of the bag lol. My corys will love the sand once i get it into the 50 gallon tomorrow and it will help me get rid of the pond snails that have infested my gravel from the petsmart plants... so my vote goes for sand+painted black background :)

Back
Top Bottom