what is going on w/ my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm 5 weeks into a fish in cycle. My ammonia has been almost 0 (very close to yellow) for a week and nitrites were starting to show up. Nitrates have been testing at 5 since early on. Today I tested and my ammonia was up to .5, nitrites were also .5 and my nitrates fell to 0. Any idea why my ammonia came back and my nitrates fell?

birdma said:
I'm 5 weeks into a fish in cycle. My ammonia has been almost 0 (very close to yellow) for a week and nitrites were starting to show up. Nitrates have been testing at 5 since early on. Today I tested and my ammonia was up to .5, nitrites were also .5 and my nitrates fell to 0. Any idea why my ammonia came back and my nitrates fell?

How has your pH been? Could your pH have fallen so much that it could've stalled your cycle maybe? To me it sounds like maybe something has gotten to the BB and its not allowing for the ammonia to be eaten away.

Ammonia can rise for a lot of reasons. Given that you're 5 weeks in, your cycle is young yet. A little overfeeding could cause ammonia to rise beyond your young colony's ability to consume it. Again, though, there could be other reasons.

What's most puzzling is the drop in nitrates. These generally don't drop on their own and must be removed from the aquarium through water changes. Is it possible that your earlier nitrate readings were off? If you use the test strips, they can be inaccurate. If you use the liquid test, it's important to follow the directions closely and shake the bottle and the tube per the instructions.

Either way, cycles can stall and backtrack for a lot of reasons without us ever knowing precisely what they are. The only advice I can give is to keep testing, do your water changes as necessary, and be patient. Your tank will cycle.

Best!

How has your pH been? Could your pH have fallen so much that it could've stalled your cycle maybe? To me it sounds like maybe something has gotten to the BB and its not allowing for the ammonia to be eaten away.

My PH is usually 8.2 but I've seen it anywhere from 8-8.4. I thought it had to fall pretty low, like down to 6, for a cycle to stall. I could be wrong though!

Ammonia can rise for a lot of reasons. Given that you're 5 weeks in, your cycle is young yet. A little overfeeding could cause ammonia to rise beyond your young colony's ability to consume it. Again, though, there could be other reasons.

What's most puzzling is the drop in nitrates. These generally don't drop on their own and must be removed from the aquarium through water changes. Is it possible that your earlier nitrate readings were off? If you use the test strips, they can be inaccurate. If you use the liquid test, it's important to follow the directions closely and shake the bottle and the tube per the instructions.

Either way, cycles can stall and backtrack for a lot of reasons without us ever knowing precisely what they are. The only advice I can give is to keep testing, do your water changes as necessary, and be patient. Your tank will cycle.

Best!

I use the liquid test and I do shake both the bottle and tube for right length of time. I also bang the bottle on the table a few times for good measure. :) I did do a fairly large water change a few days ago. My nitrates have always been 5 even with water changes but maybe since my nitrites are rising, it's not converting as quickly?

My nitrates have always been 5 even with water changes

It's not uncommon for tap water to contain that level of nitrates. If so, that would explain why the levels don't seem to fluctuate regardless of water changes.

Best!

My nitrates have always been 5 even with water changes

It's not uncommon for tap water to contain that level of nitrates. If so, that would explain why the levels don't seem to fluctuate regardless of water changes.

Best!

My tap water tests 0 for nitrates. It has fluctuated a little, like it'd be somewhere between 0-5 after a water change but still orange, ya know? Todays test was yellow.

Algae growth will consume nitrates

hmm...I'm not seeing any but light affects algae right? I've been working nights and my husband has been leaving the tank light on. I'll have to call in a reminder for him to turn it off.

Back
Top Bottom