What is my betta eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpreno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have a new betta in my (cycled) 10 gallon tank, and, unlike my previous betta, he doesn't seem to like feeding at the top of the tank. When I brought him home, he wouldn't eat the "good" pellets but ate a few flakes. Definitely didn't act like the little vacuum that the old betta was. I offer him flakes morning and night, but he doesn't seem much interested.

It's been three weeks, and he looks fine and lively. He seems to like searching around the bottom of the tank a lot. Is he finding the food that has sunk there? I throw in some sinking pellets just in case. I thought that when he was acclimated, he'd start acting "normal," but not yet.

I wish I could find out how much he's eating, and what. Any ideas?

Thanks!:fish2:

Your flakes will water-log and sink after a few minutes in the tank. I wouldn't add sinking pellets, as you'll just dirty the water faster, and cause high nitrite and nitrate levels. I've had bettas that, for some reason, preferred to feed from the substrate. As long as he seems healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

He might just be nervous with you standing there watching him. I'd be pretty scared of a giant face peeking in my kitchen window :D

Give it some time and take pictures to compare. If it looks like he's losing weight you might try something like frozen blood worms.

Back
Top Bottom