what is the difference between..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that 50/50 is half actinic and half daylight and that actinic are mainly used for reef tanks/corals.

Blazeherd2306 said:
I know that 50/50 is half actinic and half daylight and that actinic are mainly used for reef tanks/corals.

I hear people on here saying that 50/50's are closer to natural sunlight and telling people to get them for FW tanks, but I can tell you from firsthand experience that they looked really bad on my freshwater tank. They turned everything a strange tint and are dimmer than a normal output bulb. I know I'm never getting them again.

Interesting, Tony, I didn't realize that there was actinic in the 50/50 tubes. i guess some people would like that bluey purple light, but I don't think I would. it appears they have combined the 2 to use one tube instead of the usual 2. I can see why it would appear to have a diminished light output. There are so many different tubes out there, it is enough to make your head spin. I spent a good deal of time a few years ago trying to find inexpensive alternatives to the so called aquarium specific tubes. My interest was getting strong natural light at reasonable price, that was readily available through an elecrical supply store. I eventually found a tube that worked well, but it took awhile.

I have a Coralife 50/50 on my 80 gallon African Cichlid tank and I can not imagine having anything else. It does wonders for the algae growth. Lots of green stuff all over the rocks. Looks incredible ( i guess that it is a personal opinion though). It is perfect for that tank. I havn't done it yet, but i will also be getting the same bulbs for my 125 and 10 gallon tanks as well.

I think it also depends on the fish that you keep and the decor. I am getting a new light set on Monday (finally!) with 50/50 lights. Actually, I got 2 50/50's and 1 Actinic light so I can play with the look and see what's best. It will also come with 3 regular flourescent bulbs, so it gives more leway to the look. The 50/50's are supposed to really make the colors of blue and yellow fish really pop out. I'll let you know how it turns on when I get the new strip Monday. Ohhhh I'm SOOOOO excited. :D

Fishyfanatic said:
I think it also depends on the fish that you keep and the decor. I am getting a new light set on Monday (finally!) with 50/50 lights. Actually, I got 2 50/50's and 1 Actinic light so I can play with the look and see what's best. It will also come with 3 regular flourescent bulbs, so it gives more leway to the look. The 50/50's are supposed to really make the colors of blue and yellow fish really pop out. I'll let you know how it turns on when I get the new strip Monday. Ohhhh I'm SOOOOO excited. :D

Let me know how you like it, I didn't at all. I have a feeling you will be using at least two of the natural bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom