what is the rule of stocking a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't pay much attention to that instead I would ask someone who has/had experience with the kind of fish you want, and check the actual fish profile online.

A 5" fish is too big for a 10G. You need to take full grown bulk, metabolism, activity level, and preferred range of the fish into account. What type of fish? What are your overall plans for this tank?

You're going to try to put a 5 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank? I don't think that'd be a good idea. Most people only suggest bettas for a small tank, and sometimes smaller fish, although fish like danios need room to swim.

I know that people don't relate humans to fish etc, but imagine you're in a room that's only 4 times wider than you are wide. So, assuming you're 1.5 feet from front to back, that'd give you a 6 foot square room. Not very nice living quarters if you ask me.

nice analogy, corrado33 :) yeah, 5" is way too big a fish for a 10gal. the biggest fish that could go in a 10gal is probably only 2in long. and still your options are limited beyond size. IE barbs stay small but need lots of room as they are fast swimmers, and also need to be in schools. what fish were you looking at? maybe if you tell us what you are looking for in a fish, we could make suggestions for your stock list. :)

nice analogy, corrado33 :) yeah, 5" is way too big a fish for a 10gal. the biggest fish that could go in a 10gal is probably only 2in long. and still your options are limited beyond size. IE barbs stay small but need lots of room as they are fast swimmers, and also need to be in schools. what fish were you looking at? maybe if you tell us what you are looking for in a fish, we could make suggestions for your stock list. :)

This is just it... there are no hard and fast rules. A 4" killi pair will do fine in a 10 and probably struggle in a tank that is too large. Apistos as well depending on species.

Aquarium "rules" drive me bananas! I really wish more people would research the actual wild behaviors and preferences of fish. There is more to the hobby than that found in aquaria related forums (no offense) and the big box stores.

i never said anything about any "rule." i understand that size does not necessarily mean anything, every fish is different. neither do i only look at aquarium forums or "big box stores" for information in fact, i get no information from big box stores. the reason i said he could probably only go with 2in fish is because i was assuming he'd like to get more than two. obviously we all know what assuming does, but i guess i am more into community tanks, personally. maybe we should all just stop assuming things about each other and just try to help each other out. that is why we are here, right?

There is no rule really, 10 gallon tanks can be used as breeders for 2 inch Killis but 10 gallons wouldn't be able to use the same 4 inches of cichlid. I would say that there's no blanket rule.

i was thinking about a paradise fish or a african butterfly fish, it says in its profile that it is territorial, but i was planning to put it by itself, so i was wondering if a 10g is fine, but it does grow up to 4inches, so maybe the tank is to small

One very important thing I have found is that you will have to experiment on your own sometimes. What you may notice with a 10 gallon tank is that if you have a medium size fish you will have to be quite diligent with your maintenance to keep your little friend happy. The other thing to consider is that if your fish outgrows the tank or the maintenance of a 10 gal becomes too demanding on your time, you can always upgrade the tank.
Many people start out with a small tank to test the waters of aquaria, if it's for you and you love it then invest in a little bigger tank. It is meant to be enjoyable afterall. :)
Best of luck to you! :)

I know that people don't relate humans to fish etc, but imagine you're in a room that's only 4 times wider than you are wide. So, assuming you're 1.5 feet from front to back, that'd give you a 6 foot square room. Not very nice living quarters if you ask me.

Werd.0X

i was thinking about getting a fish around 1inch to 3inches.. maybe even 4, so i might test out the paradise fish or any fish that is close to 4inches

Back
Top Bottom