Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question What is this weird stuff growing on my coral?

Hi guys, this is my first post on the forum. So I’m not entirely sure how everything works. However, I bought my fish, fish tank, and filter about two weeks ago. I am still cycling the tank. The coral in the picture, I have had for years now, I found some on the beach in Hawaii. Before putting it in my tank, I boiled it for awhile to get any bad bacteria out of them. I have white skirt tetras, Molly’s, and a betta fish. Then today, I looked at my tank and saw this whitish/ clear stuff on one piece of the coral. I have not touched it yet, but it’s not just on the coral, is almost a half inch tall. It is very hard to describe. But I have attached images to this post. I realized that its kinda hard to see. but is on the bottom left part of my coral. Also if they are upside down for you, the weird stuff is on the bottom of the coral. You may have to click on the pictures bc the stuff is kind of see through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB0854C3-503D-47CB-922E-F5841F9B6303.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	315004   Click image for larger version

Name:	DAC4CD26-8036-4DF4-9554-A34C6BA817D1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	315005  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8EAB4C58-A9A4-4BD3-8AD2-07B93A4C2210.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	315006  

Old 01-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

As this is a freshwater tank with some dead coral rock in it, this post has been moved to freshwater for better assistance.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi,

I have no idea what's growing--I can't see it in the picture. However, I wanted to encourage you to do some googling and reading about using dead coral in a freshwater tank. I have never used coral this way, but a quick search suggests there may be some problems related to the sharpness of coral (can injure freshwater fish who are not used to it) or its changing the water chemistry. Perhaps someone who knows more about how significant these risks are will chime in.
fearlessfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, weir, weird

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com