What lights to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was lucky enough to find a 55 gallon aquarium on Craigslist recently for 50 dollars, including a stand, tank, hood, etc. The bulb on the light fixture is burnt out, and I need to replace it. I have no idea what to look for when buying a new bulb for it. I have some live plants now, but they're low light, so that's not an issue. It's a 48" long thing, and holds one light. I've read that you're supposed to have 1-2 WPG, so with one light I would need a 100 watt light bulb. Do you need special fixtures for different wattages? There is nothing on the fixture that says what kind of light bulb it takes or anything. I have no idea what I"m doing, I've never shopped for lights for an aquarium before. Currently I have one of those tall lights with 3 bulbs and another desk light pointed on it for light (provides quite a bit, the plants have een there for a while and are doing well, and they were in my other tank with a similar setup and were fine, I just want a real aquarium light setup ). I don't have a ton of money to buy a whole new light fixuture either, so I want a light that can work with what I've got.

Thanks!

There should be a sticker on the fixture that says it's rating... voltage and watts. If you can find it, that will tell you what size bulb it can handle.

I've been looking... didn't see anything... that's why I was wondering. Is there like a standard? It seems like 48" bulbs come in like a million different watts.

And also looking at the thing, I realized I don't even know how to get the old bulb out. The tank is like 10 years old I think. It's just a normal housing that sits on top of the tank, it matches the tank and everything though. I'm guessing maybe if I could get the bulb out it might say somewhere on it what it is? But I don't know how to get it out... and I don't want to break it... sorry if these are dumb questions.

Sounds like a standard flourescent fixture. Should be able to twist the bulb which will allow it to slide right out of the fixture. Take the bulb with you to the store, as long as you get one that is the same length, diameter, and fittings on the end it should work in your fixture. You won't be able to increase the amount of light over the tank without upgrading the fixture. Just aim for a bulb rated between 5000K and 10000K, it should work just fine.

Actually, you can increase the amount of light, by choosing a tube with higher output, in lumens. I'm not referring to HO, or VHO, but standard tubes, of 40 wtts, if the tube is T12. Tri phosphor tubes put out more light per watt, than regular tubes. So called aquarium tubes have a very low output in the 1800 lumen range whereas, most regular tyope tubes will be in the 2,200 to 2,300 range. Some such as Philips Ultralume, will put out over 3,000 lumens, while still being 40 watt tubes. If the fixture in question, takes a T12 tube (1 1/2" dia), the best deal around is the 2 pack of Philips Daylight Deluxe, at $6.00 at HD. A decent coloured tube, with decent light output, at a great price.

Back
Top Bottom