What looks like soapy bubbles. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MudSkipFlip

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, Just a quick question. . . I keep seeing, what looks like, soapy bubbles that keep forming around the glass in the water. And nothing that even goes close to my tank has ever been washed with soap. I've even tried to wipe out the lil' bubbles with papertowel or sucking them out with a turkey bastor (thats specifically 4 the tank, lol). I seem to get rid of them atm, but they just keep appearing. . . Does any1 know, what would be causing this?
Here's a quick 411 on my tank and pump. . . I have 42g tank and I'm using a Fluval 304 canister pump. The fish store where I get my fish and supplies suggested I change the carbon once a month, the biomax and bio-filter stuff every 6months and there is 4 spots for foam filters and they suggested only replacing 2 of the filters every month.
At the begining of July, I replaced the carbon but I 4got to grab 2 new filters so I'll be going on almost 2months with out replacing the foam filters. I was thinking maybe this might be what is causing a soap-like bubbles. . . or maybe not. Hoping sum1 can awnser that 4 me.

You did not specify which fish you have..
Some fish like gouramis and bettas make bubble nests in water.

Some filter outputs can cause bubbles to form on the surface of the water, but they usually don't look soapy. I haven't used a Fluval so I can't speak from experience with that kind of filter.

I've had that happen with dechlorinator. Tetra Aquasafe is bad about that. On another note... there is no reason to replace Biomax, or any other biological media, unless it is falling apart. The company tells you to do it so they can sell you replacements. ;)

It could be lipid and protein build up from various foods you might use. I get this from feeding my fish a high protein diet. If you don't have a skimmer or really good surface aggitation you will get this sometimes. It goes away between feedings for me to some extent, but I usually see something like this after feeding frozen fresh bloodworms or brine shrimp.

I also have to clean my filtration system occassionally to help this out. This has been an ongoing thing for me btw. I just skim the surface and keep the water aggitation good. There are several posts about protein film in the forums and use and recommendation of skimmers.

Similarly, I know these bubble can also occur with hugh ammonia. But since you don't have sick fish I doubt this is why.

Thank you 4 the responses. . . Oddly enough, 2 days after posting this thread the bubbles stoped appering. And I appolize... I can't believe I didnt mention what type of fish I have or the info reguarding pH, amonia, excetra...
Anyways, as 4 a dechlorinizer I use Prime. And that very well could have been what caused the soap-like bubbles. But my mudskippers seem 2b doing fine now. And if I have anymore problems or concerns... You guys will prolly b the 1st ppl 2 hear about it. lol TY 4 being there! =D

glad it worked out

also wanted to agree with mama about the filter media. they dont have to be changed unless they are disintegrating. just rinse them out when they start getting clogged up in the old tank water from water changes.

Back
Top Bottom