What should I do with my old 1 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bevoholic

Aquarium Advice Freak
As soon as my 5.5g tank has finished it's cycle, and I get my Betta into his new home, I will have an empty 1 gallon mini bow.

What should I do with it?

Try your hand at growing plants in it with some shrimp and/or snails. If you haven't already :)

This is really the best option you have with such a small aquarium. I warn you though, after you keep some Shrimp, you're going to want a larger tank to keep more of them! Awesome little creatures.

I was thinking about doing just that, but I don't have any idea about growing plants. I can't even get the ones in my yard to stay alive.

Where would I start?

Also, this one has a filter in it that takes up half the top of the tank. Would I need it for a plant/shrimp tank?

I was thinking about doing just that, but I don't have any idea about growing plants. I can't even get the ones in my yard to stay alive.

Where would I start?

Also, this one has a filter in it that takes up half the top of the tank. Would I need it for a plant/shrimp tank?

A one gallon is really only suitable for a few shrimp with small low light plants like an Anubias. With a one gallon you could literally clip a daylight desk lamp to it and it should provide enough light for Anubias, Java Fern and or Java moss. Those are the plants I'd recommend.

I will warn you:eek: ... I agree with what was already mentioned .... once you add a shrimp, you'll want more. If you go with RCS, then chances are your going to end up with more shrimp whether you want them or not:brows:

I have one of those, I keep it on hand (in a box) for a Betta hospital tank but I don't ever use the filter on it.

Would it have to have a filter on it for the shrimp? I'd like to get rid of the one that's currently there and get an HOB instead, but I'm worried if I get an HOB then the lid won't fit on right. Can I put shrimp in there without a lid?

Back
Top Bottom