What should I put in this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spazshark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yes, I AM a newbie :) I have been a yahoo answers member for a long time, but there are hardly any fish people there. This place is great!

I want to get something to replace one of my fish. I already have 5 fish-only aquariums, so it would be awesome if you could recommend something that isn't a fish but still lives in fresh or brackish water. I'm about to donate my yellow bullhead catfish to the fish and game because she is almost done maturing and she's about to max out my biggest tank :rolleyes: It's a 30 gal, there is a heater and a filter and lots of decor including a cave but I can adjust to whatever new members move in.

I would like some kind of animal that I can have tankmates with. These wouldn't go together, but I am open to ideas like dwarf frogs, mini crabs, turtles, anything. And it would be cool if they could live with fish without eating them. Combinations would be nice, too. Thank you!

Mudskippers make for lively and interesting brackish tank tenants but I'm not sure about their compatibility with other fish. I've seen tanks that pair them up with archerfish but you'd have to have lots of land and water area to accommodate each species

Like you said, ADFs and crabs are good. IDK about turtles though, I don't think they are a good choice. But I have no experience with turtles. Maybe some shrimp or snails?

30 gallons is a nice sized tank for a pretty awesome shrimp colony. You could make it fully planted, something like this:
img_2382378_0_2c5460fec14e409e0b8b37a1afce8afe.jpg
(not my tank)

Wow that's beautiful! I haven't had success with live plants. I can grow those bulbs that come in packs of three fine, but when i tried buying mature live plants, there was a really bad outbreak of some kind of worms in my tank :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom