What the heck???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm not really getting started on a new tank or anything, but I wasn't sure where else to put this thread.
Has anyone had experience with putting play sand as a substrate in their tank and their nitrates skyrocketing? I just tested my water twice to make sure I shook the #2 bottle enough, and sure enough- I'm getting 160ppm!!! None of my tanks have EVER been that high.
-36 gal tank
-been set up for 4 years and fully cycled
-switched out gravel for (thoroughly rinsed) play sand yesterday
-during switch, I did about an 80% water change

Hmmm no and there's no logical reason for the sand to be the factor. It's more likely removing the original substrate caused a huge amount of detritus waste to be released.

Even though during the switch I siphoned out 80% of the water? It didn't seem like that much detritus was released, because I was simultaneously siphoning the gravel.. I'm just in shock. Thanks for your input!

Hmmm, thats weird. I would do a huge water change on the tank (at least 50%) and test after that, and again 24 hours later. You want to see if it is just a temporary thing, or if it is a recurring problem (if they keep rising and rising).

I just did about a 90% change today. Ill test tomorrow to see what happens. .1x160= 16, so it should be between 10 and 20 ppm.
The odd thing is that my fish (an angel, 5 mollies and a swordtail) seemed completely unfazed. They were swimming around like nothing was out of the ordinary.
I tested my tap as well to make sure nothing was there, and it tested zero.

Ok nitrates are down to 10-20 now:) must have been like you said, things getting stirred up from previous substrate.

Back
Top Bottom