What to add with my gouramis??? HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smidget121

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank, it's been running for a month now.

I have had no problem with sick fish or anything, petco said our water is good. Tested our water every week lately.

We have 1 small pink kissing gourami and 2 small gold gouramis.

We want to add more fish but don't know what can go with these guys.

It's a long tank, not tall.

We wanted angelfish, considered cichlids, thought about everything.

We now have our 3 gouramis and we need help finding tank mates!!!!

Any useful build would be great, go ahead and let us know what you would add! If you give an idea and can include the number of each fish that would be ideal I would REALLY appreciate it!

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!

Right on! Sounds like we have similar tanks!
Angels and gouramis will be fine, just watch for fin nipping - as angels have huge fins and gouramis are notorious for it. (Not saying it will happen, just something to watch for)

Rams are a good match too, bolivian are supposedly a little more hardy than the GBR - so if you're new to freshwater like I am, maybe consider those! I'd say maybe 2-3?

Apisto cichlids (like cockatoos) are fairly hardy and can be non-aggressive, as they are small and in a huge tank. I wouldn't do more than a couple though, as they'll get territorial - keep this in mind if you do rams, because the rams and apistos may fight for territory as they age.

I also have a school of 10 X-Ray Tetras in my tank, I think they're cool looking and I wanted a small school. It's awesome to watch them go nuts at feeding time! I trained them to eat out of my hand, so whenever I put my hand in the tank they all rush it and go nuts :lol:

If you go cichlid, stick to either North/South American or African. Don't mix and match. I've also heard keeping them around the same size is a good bet. They may (likely) attack the gouramis though. cichlids can be little buttholes about their territory and will go after anyone that gets in the way.

Just some suggestions. If you like angels, go for it. They're beautiful fish and can get a good size once fully grown!

I think 3-4 is the max on angels for a 55 gal?
(again, I'm fairly new, so anyone more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong)

Yeah I posted and then ran right into your thread! So you can put cichlids in with these gouramis?? That is an interesting thought. But you couldn't do chiclids and angelfish, right? So now I have 2 separate options....hmmmm, I am so frustrated with figuring out what to put in the tank. GAH!!! Haha

Well my boyfriend says he would like to add cichlids instead of angels, what other kinds of cichlids can go into the tank with my gouramis?

Yeah I posted and then ran right into your thread! So you can put cichlids in with these gouramis?? That is an interesting thought. But you couldn't do chiclids and angelfish, right? So now I have 2 separate options....hmmmm, I am so frustrated with figuring out what to put in the tank. GAH!!! Haha

Believe me, I've been there. I originally wanted discus lol

You can put cichlids with anything, it's just a matter of pairing the right ones.

The rams and apistos are the most "community friendly" (again, I'm new, this is just my understanding)
You can (I am) put apisots/rams with angels all day, and they'll be fine. They'll be good with your gourami too. The cockatoo apistos get like 3 inches, so it's not like they can bully much :lol: I have a panda cichlid (I think) in with a mid-sized angel now, and they're fine. They're in a 12 gal qt and not fighting in that cramped little space, so I think they'll be THRILLED in the 55 gal!

Big cichlids you won't want with little fish - I'd avoid putting something like an oscar, jack dempsey, or green terror in with a "community" setup (or angels for that matter)
The bigger the cichlid, the more you'll want to keep it with maybe 1-2 other big cichlids (and some are going to exceed your tank space)

African cichlids are smaller/more colorful but to be honest, I don't know a ton about them.

I'd really stick to rams or apisto breed cichlids if you want angels.

These three are all agressive fish and the kissing gourami itself will reach a foot long. You are maxed out, in my opinion. Since the golds will reach only six inches, I would consider either getting rid of the kisser or the golds. Aggressive fish that are at different sizes can be an issue.

Researching what you already have before looking to get new fish is always a good idea and can usually answer your question before you post it.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
These three are all agressive fish and the kissing gourami itself will reach a foot long. You are maxed out, in my opinion. Since the golds will reach only six inches, I would consider either getting rid of the kisser or the golds. Aggressive fish that are at different sizes can be an issue.

Researching what you already have before looking to get new fish is always a good idea and can usually answer your question before you post it.

First of all, I do a lot of research, but I turned to this community for more input.
I plan on moving the kissing gourami to a bigger tank as it grows.

But FOR THE TIME BEING I wanted to know what was compatible with what I currently have in my tank.

This community is what a lot of people turn to for some extra help, I know the rules about fish sizes in a tank. But for someone like you who has no help to offer will really push other people away. I was asking for a current input. So before you post assuming someone has NO CLUE what they're doing, you should ask what they plan on doing with a fish that will grow to its large size.

Thank you others for all of the help, I REALLY appreciate it!

Just watch out for the Gouramis as they may fight. Kissers are aggressive and Golds can also get aggressive as they mature. If you have a true pair of Golds they may be ok. Most Gouramis at LFSs are males.

Gouramis tend to dislike other Gouramis.

Angels are a good match and they ARE Cichlids.

A large school of larger non nippy Tetras may be ok. 8-10 Bleeding Hearts.

Or look at Rainbowfish.

I'd do a large group of Corydoras on the bottom :)

African Cichlids would kill Gouramis and don't like same conditions.

Coursair said:
Just watch out for the Gouramis as they may fight. Kissers are aggressive and Golds can also get aggressive as they mature. If you have a true pair of Golds they may be ok. Most Gouramis at LFSs are males.

Gouramis tend to dislike other Gouramis.

Angels are a good match and they ARE Cichlids.

A large school of larger non nippy Tetras may be ok. 8-10 Bleeding Hearts.

Or look at Rainbowfish.

I'd do a large group of Corydoras on the bottom :)

Awesome! Thanks for the input, I do like the bleeding heart tetras, my boyfriend really liked the cichlids though. The apisto ones. But yeah I do like your idea! And I do like angelfish, I just never had much luck with them. Thanks for the tip on African cichlids, if we head down the cichlids path I know now to stay away from those guys!

Good to know! I learned something today :)

Yeah, I think the gouramis are the hard part. If you decide to put them in another tank you open yourself up to a lot of cichlid options in your 55 gal... just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom