What to put in 2 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabellarosas15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a two gallon tank that I wanted to use and I know I'm limited to what I can get I was thinking about getting 3-4 neon tetras because they are so small. and 1 or 2 freshwater plants like maybe a Anubias nana and maybe a ghost shrimp but I'm not sure if that would be to much

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Maybe 3 neons. Tops. Why not just make it a shrimp tank? You could make it look really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I was looking at some of the shrimp and I thought the blue tiger shrimp was really cool looking but I'm worried they might hurt each other and I'm not sure about them I'm new to freshwater I've had a saltwater tank for awhile and I'm used to everything attacking each other

Yeah I was looking at some of the shrimp and I thought the blue tiger shrimp was really cool looking but I'm worried they might hurt each other and I'm not sure about them I'm new to freshwater I've had a saltwater tank for awhile and I'm used to everything attacking each other

Blue tigers won't attack each other.

Maybe 3 neons. Tops. Why not just make it a shrimp tank? You could make it look really nice.

Way too small for neons. I'd only put them in a 20 min.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Yes, I am a Harry Potter Nerd. SO THERE! ✨ ?⚡

Here's my tank to help you visualize ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416885181.515150.jpg

Yeah no neons or any fish except maybe a single scarlet badis

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

A single betta might work out

+1 regarding the betta. Maybe put some taller plants in there, a tank like that would look gorgeous planted :) a shrimp colony will do fine, plus their so much lighter bioload wise than fish are, especially in a small space.

Thanks for all the info guys I think I'll go with a shrimp colony it sounds cool how much shrimp fit in a 2 gallon

Neons will be fine in a 10.

To each their own; I feel they need to be in larger tanks, and many do not agree. I appreciate your opinion though and the fact you did not use twenty exclamation points after it.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

For shrimp in a two gallon: I'd say go with 6 to start your initial colony. Try to get 3 males and 3 females.

Males are smaller, sometimes lighter, and skinnier.
Females are larger, more rounded, and usually will have a distinct saddle on their back. Of course that's really generalized information. :) but soon you'll have tons of shrimp and a gorgeous, planted tank. Have you considered what plants you'd like?

I was thinking wistera Anubias nana and maybe a sword plant

Could I get a betta because I was looking at them and they seem really great and if I get shrimp they will breed lots and I don't know what I would do with so much baby shrimp

I feel a 2 gallon hex is kinda small for bettas. I would go with a planted shrimp tank with a wood branch centerpiece.

Can you get a second tank for a betta? A 5 gal doesn't take up much space and when the until shrimp tank gets over populated you can move some shrimp to the betta tank. Some bettas eat shrimp so it would be a nice treat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please don't put a betta in this size of tank. Bettas should be kept in AT LEAST 5 gallons. I couldn't stress this more.

This is a very common and not terrible suggestion. Being so absolute about 5 gallons is a little extreme, though.

I have one betta who has lived in 1, 3, 5, and 10 gallons. He's been most active in the 3 (2.25 of actual water) Smaller he didn't swim much and water cleanliness was just impossible. Larger he just hides.

We don't need to roll out that whole "in nature they live in mud puddles" thing. Keeping a fish in your living room is unnatural. But it also doesn't help to be militant about 5 gallons or more.

To the OP, your tank isn't merely small it's tall and narrow. Surface area and room to swim is part of what determines what it can hold. Definitely looks like a plant and shrimp tank, no fish.

That tank being so narrow, and holding less than 2 gallons actual water, makes it a tank in which a betta is unlikely to remain healthy for very long.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom